food Rice Pilaf w/ Beef, Mushrooms, Ro-Tel and Peppers

QuadShotz

Banned
TB was making me hungry with all the rice goodness, so I had to do something about it. ;-)

Jasmine Rice, Ground Beef, Shitakke & King Oyster Mushrooms, Red Bell Pepper, Gypsy Pepper, Thai Chiles, Onion, Garlic, Basil, a tin of Ro-Tel and Mirepoix.

S6305209.jpg

Started by firing up a pot of rice, then while that's simmering, browning up the hamburger w/ the Mirepoix, garlic, salt/pepper, and some of the thai chiles.

When the meat was done, I added the rest of the veggies, rubbed sage, rosemary, mexican oregano, arbol/cayene/chipotle/chile powders, garlic/onion powder and let it bubble awhile.

S6305211.jpg

After a bit, added the Ro-Tel, some beef broth and some flatleaf parsley and let it simmer awhile.

S6305214.jpg

By now the rice was done, and we're ready to rock!

Ok...

I did it two ways...one separated for show, and the other combined together as a more traditional pilaf.

Here's the "pretty' shot.

S6305224.jpg

That same plate, but mixed together for grubbing down.

S6305232.jpg

Finally, the whole thing combined and simmered down.

S6305243.jpg

Pretty awesome meal..and it'll be even better tomorrow. :D

Thanks!

I've been needing some nice stuff like this for a bit...my body tends to tell me what I need. :)

It'll be nice in a tort later, and it's also killer with some of the goat cheese sprinkled on it too....Mmmmmm.

Shazaam! That pot o' gold gets the rating seguro que si! (For sure for sure) Hot, blue, and righteous! Bonus for using the Texican fave, Rotell.

QuadShotz said:
Thanks!

I've been needing some nice stuff like this for a bit...my body tends to tell me what I need. :)

It'll be nice in a tort later, and it's also killer with some of the goat cheese sprinkled on it too....Mmmmmm.

quadshotz,

If you will permit me, can I draw your attention to one basic flaw?

Your rice is having too much of residual water.

Pilaff, Biryanis must have dry cooked rice even after the chicken or whatever is added along with gravy .

Rice is 3/4 cooked first and then the spiced gravy is addred in layers and cooked further to full.

This pilaff is dry and rice is fully cooked.

NJA

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
quadshotz,

If you will permit me, can I draw your attention to one basic flaw?

Your rice is having too much of residual water.

Pilaff, Biryanis must have dry cooked rice even after the chicken or whatever is added along with gravy .

Rice is 3/4 cooked first and then the spiced gravy is addred in layers and cooked further to full.

This pilaff is dry and rice is fully cooked.

NJA

Yeah I know...it's not actually intended to be authentic to any particular cuisine. I like rice on the moist side I guess...one reason I hate Instant Rice.

It's only a "pilaf" in the sense it's rice with veggies and meat, that's all.

Thanks though. :)

They're a sweet-mild pepper I like.

Not much hotter than a weak jalapeno, if that, but tasty. I esp. like 'em sliced thin on sammies.

I get 'em at a local chain (WinCo)...most all of theirs comes from Mexico.

Gypsy-Pepper-Plant.jpg

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/eat-and-drink/articles/0907-savor/

http://www.veseys.com/us/en/store/vegetables/peppers/sweetbell/gypsypepper

Unique in earliness, yields, delicious flavor and appearance. This hybrid sweet pepper features yellow, wedge-shaped 3-5 inch fruit tapering to a blunt nose. Medium sized plants with a continuous fruiting habit, produce well in cool and hot regions.

Back