• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Ring Leader Hybrid Jalapeno, by Burpee

These are rated at 50 days maturity.  How does one create a early Hybrid pepper, ie which pepper possesses those early traits?

A lot of the sweet varieties usually mature pretty early but that would probably take away a lot of the heat crossing it with a jalapeno.. I also wonder what they consider maturity too. Green or red?

I would say Green, considering the market for an Early Jalap would be for Northern Gardeners?

I'm at 46N on and Island.  I don't put my peppers outside until June 10th or so, it really cuts back on my growing season.  First frost about Oct 15th.  I have a dedicated greenhouse for my Superhots

Ring Leader is sorta new. I would suggest a well proven Early Jalapeno. Even Jalapeno M does not take much longer. When i was much younger that is all we grew and loved them. Pretty much consistently hot and good producers too. Unless you want mild, completely avoid the jumbo varieties like Giganti, Goliath and Mammoth. Every single one i grew of those were flavorless duds.

Abbot and Cobb hybridized the Ringleader and they list it as mild.

This will be the first year in a long time we are not growing the Early. I might still grow a Jalapeno M if the seedlings look nice. A local green house has them priced at 2 for $1.09 :D

Back