• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Ripe Poblano

Can you guys describe the taste and heat of a ripe poblano? I've only ever had it green. Which I do really enjoy. Last year I ate my jals and serranos red, which improved the flavor and maybe the heat. Is it similar with poblano?

Bonus question. Are there any crosses of poblanos with say a Chinese?

Letting a pod of any kind ripen allows it to fully develop its sugars, so the flavor of ripe will always differ from the flavor of unripe. You should know that some people prefer certain varieties green and others ripe, but only you can judge your individual taste preferences. Even if 1,000 people say they like the flavor of something that does not mean you will. Many people like the flavor of orange habaneros, for example. To me (and to others I know), I like the initial hit of their flavor, but then I get a strong ammonia-like taste that is entirely unpleasant. More habs for others to enjoy is my perspective.

Heat? Yes, allowing a pod to ripen also increases its heat, but c'mon - - it's a poblano; don't expect much. 

Crosses of poblanos with a chinense? Probably, as annuums and chinenses cross fairly easily. Any marketed as such? Not that I know of. 

To qualify my interest in the heat is due to the fact I am growing the poblanos primarily for my mother who doesn't have much tolerance. When I cook with poblano I throw a hotter pepper in the mix! ^_^

I guess your points about the subjective nature are true enough that really getting feedback is null. My thought was that I definitely like jalapeños and serranos ripened to red, so maybe others that agree with that would have a similar enough palette that I would likely agree on their perspective towards poblano as well? I dunno :p Can't argue with your logic.

I was considering manually pollinating a bell with a superhot for kicks. I like poblano more myself so today I started to consider that option.

Spicy Mushroom said:
I was considering manually pollinating a bell with a superhot for kicks. I like poblano more myself so today I started to consider that option.

What do you have to lose? :-) I mean that is like leveling up right there.

They're one of my favorites too. I quit buying the heartburn green bells a few years ago and now grill red bells and poblanos instead.

I have a poblano ripening up at the moment. Will pick it in a couple more days and report back. I'm betting the flavor will improve since pobs taste kinda "green" anyway. And since sweet kills heat, shouldn't be any hotter. ;)

I have had poblanos that are quite picante.

Dried poblanos are called anchos and a couple of other local names.

Picked my red/purple poblano today. It still tasted like a poblano. Maybe just a bit sweeter, not as "green" tasting.

Zero heat. None. Zip. Nada. Probably because the pod set when the plant was very small. It was the only pod to set that early out of 2 plants.

Will try again later. Many more already in the pipeline.

Spicy Mushroom said:
Can you guys describe the taste and heat of a ripe poblano? I've only ever had it green. Which I do really enjoy. Last year I ate my jals and serranos red, which improved the flavor and maybe the heat. Is it similar with poblano?

Bonus question. Are there any crosses of poblanos with say a Chinese?
first I will say that poblanos( green ) are just about my least favorite pepper(admittedly I've only tasted 500 or so varieties) but just so. On the other hand, I love anchos( the red ripe version) whether fresh or dried, they have a really delicious flavor!they should have a little heat but not much.
geeme said:
Letting a pod of any kind ripen allows it to fully develop its sugars, so the flavor of ripe will always differ from the flavor of unripe. You should know that some people prefer certain varieties green and others ripe, but only you can judge your individual taste preferences. Even if 1,000 people say they like the flavor of something that does not mean you will. Many people like the flavor of orange habaneros, for example. To me (and to others I know), I like the initial hit of their flavor, but then I get a strong ammonia-like taste that is entirely unpleasant. More habs for others to enjoy is my perspective.

Heat? Yes, allowing a pod to ripen also increases its heat, but c'mon - - it's a poblano; don't expect much. 

Crosses of poblanos with a chinense? Probably, as annuums and chinenses cross fairly easily. Any marketed as such? Not that I know of.
Ive heard many ppl hate on orange habs, and I understand why that is, there are several types of orange habanero. I've had the thinner skinned types that taste like hot trash, but I've also grown, a very nice sweet fruity orange hab w/ thicker skin and a clear bright flavor and aroma, ive never had good ones feom the store but homegrown have been fantastic. If its not different species then perhaps, the commercialized growing process has watered down the original genetics. Who knows, I've had really delicious ones and really shitty ones!

Back