• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ripening to different colors

OK here's one that will make you go hhhmmmm.

These are Pimenta Tiger AISPES pods. Add a little more red and this is what they're supposed to look like when fully ripe. The first pods that were produced went from purple to a pale yellowish color, totally skipping the red phase. So tell me how the second batch of peppers look like they're supposed to?

DSC010821550x1163.jpg

Pigmentation changes in peppers occur differently as the season goes on. Most of my red pods turn a chocolate brown before transitioning to red in the beginning of the season and towards the end of the season they transition to a light orange before red instead of the chocolate brown. When a plant is in full production it goes through its characteristic changes, but early in the season the pigments don't transition normally all the time. It seems this happens much more frequently with unstable hybrids as well, which the Tiger still is somewhat unstable. Hope that explanation helps.

That extended Nebraska summer you talked about definitely got the full monty production juices going. Beautiful pods!

OK here's one that will make you go hhhmmmm.

These are Pimenta Tiger AISPES pods. Add a little more red and this is what they're supposed to look like when fully ripe. The first pods that were produced went from purple to a pale yellowish color, totally skipping the red phase. So tell me how the second batch of peppers look like they're supposed to?

DSC010821550x1163.jpg

Patrick,
Do the skins of of the Tigers thin out as they ripen.....My "Black Hungarian's" do and they as they ripen red, then they get deflated pretty fast...

How do the peppers taste past all the beautiful variegated colors?

Greg

Very interesting responses, thanks mrz1988.

I think I may have another explanation. While out checking on pods today I found a couple of the Pimenta Tigers on another plant starting to show a change of color to the pale banana that the very first pods were showing. Since the seeds I got were open pollinated couldn't it be possible that they came from different pods? I'm basically growing two different plants that both look like Pimenta Tiger AISPES. Makes sense right?

Sure very possible especially since its still a bit unstable. Pics I saw from AISPES had them transitioning yellow>orange>red if I'm not mistaken but I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about. Your pods don't have the intense striping pattern that the mother plants have either so it would be easy to conclude that the strain is still unstable.

The pods in the photo are continuing to ripen with more red showing. I have a feeling they may end up looking like the pods from the mother plant. I'm not sure of the colors the pods go through as they ripen but I do know they start out purple. My first pods on one plant started purple and ended pale banana color. The pods on this plant started purple and are moving through red right now.

Back