• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

River Sediment

I live pretty close to the Susquahana river and was wondering if maybe the soil (sediment) might be more nutrient enriched and suitable for growing peppers.
Was going to grab a 5 gallon bucket full and give it a try just to see.
My thoughts on it are that the sediment is basically topsoil that was eroded away from another area and deposited on the river bank. Thinking this would be a great place for nutrient rich soil.

What are your thoughts

Thanks for the links.
Not good to read that it is the most endangered in the nation. Right around where I live it has (well had, maybe) one of the best large and small mouth bass areas in the state, if not the nation. Now that was from back in the early 2000's

I stopped eatting fresh water fish a long time ago without knowing where they come or what they eat. I say this as no insult but I worked in a red tilapia fish farm for several years and became very famliure with what fresh water fish eat. To top it all off, one of my favorite off shore fish ahi has high mercury levels :/ Sorry for the off topic, back on track ... why not take a sample of your soil and have it analyzed?

I am the same when it comes to fresh water fish. Basically I dont eat it. Now for salt water that is a diff story LOL.
Will have to look into where and how much it will cost to get it analyzed. Although, I might give it a try on one or 2 plants just to see if there is a difference, plus or minus in using it.

I am the same when it comes to fresh water fish. Basically I dont eat it. Now for salt water that is a diff story LOL.
Don't get me wrong, I love fish ... I eat loads of fish, just stopped eatting fresh water fish about 15 years ago. I also love to fish, even catch and release, I live on a river too (salt water) and fish almost every day. Unfortunately I don't get off shore as much as I use to but still do when conditions are right :)

Will have to look into where and how much it will cost to get it analyzed. Although, I might give it a try on one or 2 plants just to see if there is a difference, plus or minus in using it.
If there's any chance of pollution, I'd do the testing first if it's not that expensive or ask around any local tackle stores, they have the inside info sometimes. I'd also check with local nurseries ...

Don't get me wrong, I love fish ... I eat loads of fish, just stopped eatting fresh water fish about 15 years ago. I also love to fish, even catch and release, I live on a river too (salt water) and fish almost every day. Unfortunately I don't get off shore as much as I use to but still do when conditions are right :)

If there's any chance of pollution, I'd do the testing first if it's not that expensive or ask around any local tackle stores, they have the inside info sometimes. I'd also check with local nurseries ...
When I do go fishing it is catch and release, havent really done any fishing in a few years though. Salt water I used to go with an old boss to the Chesapeake bay and catch strippers, they were some good eating. Went deep see once back in the early 90's for shark and tuna. We were about 100 miles out of Lewes, DE. had a blast, didnt catch any tuna but did catch a 350lb blue shark. MMMMMMMMMM
Gunna call around to places that you suggested and see what they say

LOL, it was a big boy, 13' 350 lbs. Steaks were tasty
Nice, I never caught such a big shark but bill fish is a different story, I've caught some biggies in the 195 range :) On another note, my roomate in college, years ago lol, caught a 350 lb. hammer head off the beach and it had 21 babbies inside :o but it wasn't good to eat, while I didn't try it (didn't look good) he got sick as a dog off it.

Back