• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Roaches in my soil!

So I'm growing indoors and a week or so ago I noticed small white bugs squirming around in the soil of some of my plants. So I sprayed with neem oil daily for 3-4 days and didn't notice them come back.

They did look like small roaches but I wasn't sure. 2-3 days ago I noticed a small roach in my grow area, killed it and thought nothing of it. Yesterday I found a slightly bigger one in one of my pots.

Are these harmful to the plants in any way? It seems neem oil didn't do much to them, how can I get rid of them, roach motels? I had sprayed the bottom legs of my table with some home bug defense stuff and noticed  it was killing bugs as they try to climb up the table legs, but I guess it wore off.

Roaches are tough to kill! This is the first case I've ever heard about them being in pepper pots or soil.

I'm thinking sticky traps would be the best to use.

Heh - Yeah, you're in the subtropics - roach heaven. Roaches don't usually bother plants. They'll crawl around them, but that's about it. I doubt the small white bugs were roaches though. Take a pic if you ever see them again. 

There's a saying: If you see one roach, you probably have many. They tend to live in the walls of houses/apartments/etc. About the only thing I ever found truly effective when I lived down there was "bombing" the house - a gas-type spray for which you have to leave the house. Best wishes in eradicating them!

Back