food Roast Christmas Turkey with a Chwist

I am looking at roasting a turkey for the very first time. I am planning on getting a turkey and then butterfly it. No stuffing. Now all i need is a hot n spicy marinade. I don't like any fruity flavours. I am more into herbs, ginger etc. Anyone have any recipes to share with me.

Your mention of herbs and ginger made me think of my Asian Throwdown entry. I did it with pork tenderloin, but it would probably be good with turkey, too. Here's a link - scroll down to find Geeme's Asian Tribute.

chililover, If you want, check out pages 404 and 405 of the Drunken Chef. (I'd post a link, but I'm stooopid).
I boned a turkey, (bonless) sprinkled powder seasonings put stuffing on it then trussed it back up. When it's done, you just slice across the whole bird and get light, dark, and stuffing in each slice.
Not that you would want to do it that way, but it might spark some creativity for you.
Cheers mate!

Since you said you didn't want stuffing, keep in mind you can still do what Scovie did and just skip the stuffing. Season it well, roll it up, tie it well, and roast.

SuperHot and Shadowchilli - thanks!

chililover, If you want, check out pages 404 and 405 of the Drunken Chef. (I'd post a link, but I'm stooopid).

I blame you for my drooling mouth. That just looks amazing. One of the major supermarkets her has boneless butterflied turkeys so the hard work is done. I kind of want to stuff my turker with sliced potatoes. Do you think thats a good idea or will that make my turkey really dry.

I have also heard people brining their turkey before roasting. What does that do and how does one do it.

Rub the turkey inside and out with salt, place in a pot big enough to hold it plus some, then cover it with cold water. Put a plate or something heavy on it to keep the turkey submerged, then cover the pot. Put it in the fridge at least overnight. From the book CookWise:

Water can flow in and out of cells, and normally it flows through cell walls toward the most strongly concentrated solution in the cells or tissues. When you rub salt on the surface of meat, the salt dissolves in the meat juices to produce a concentrated solution that draws moisture out of the meat cells. ...... However, if the water were not evaporating from the surface, the salt water on the surface would become diluted by the moisture. Soon the concentration outside the cell walls would be less concentrated than the liquid in the meat cell, so the salt water would flow into the cell. Meat cells contain a lot of water, but it is water that is bound and held by the proteins. Actually, the free liquid in meat cells is very concentrated with dissolved substances. This means that even concentrated solutions of salt water or salt and sugar water will be less concentrated than the liquid inside the meat cells. Braining is a way to increase the amount of liquid inside the meat cells - a way to make meat juicier.

More than you wanted to know?

Edit: Time is a huge factor with brining. Whatever you brine, make sure to keep it submerged in the salt water at least 3 hours, no less. Oh, and make sure it is completely thawed, if it was frozen, before brining.

Edit again: Just re-read your post. If all you do is stuff it with potatoes, yes, it will be too dry. So stuff it with potatoes and something to add moisture - could be a fat, a sauce, bacon, whatever.

bacon and potatoes would be fine. That it i am getting my turkey today and brining it. Then seasoning it and cooking it for tomorrows dinner. Spending christmas with my parents and they don't eat turkey so i am having mine earlier.

Back