trade Rocato or Locato (buy or trade)

Hey THP,

So I was just talking to my boss about peppers and just gave him a taste of some scorpion pepper hotness. He enjoyed it and was asking if I ever heard of a pepper called the Rocato or Locato. He's looking for seeds or plants and I figured we could help him out. He spent 4 years down in Bolivia so he's looking for those types of peppers. If you can find them or know where I can get them besides Amazon or eBay please let me know. I'd prefer to buy from a reputable source or someone on here.

He said the peppers look like this:

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/pictures/caps_s3.jpg

there are rocato and locato, but also rocoto, and various aji that look like that.

I've not had any luck with any of the black seeded peppers growing in FL... BUT you may do better in TX. certainly worth trying.

LS929 said:
Hey THP,

So I was just talking to my boss about peppers and just gave him a taste of some scorpion pepper hotness. He enjoyed it and was asking if I ever heard of a pepper called the Rocato or Locato. He's looking for seeds or plants and I figured we could help him out. He spent 4 years down in Bolivia so he's looking for those types of peppers. If you can find them or know where I can get them besides Amazon or eBay please let me know. I'd prefer to buy from a reputable source or someone on here.

He said the peppers look like this:

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/pictures/caps_s3.jpg

Try Peter.  http://www.semillas.de/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi?shop=&keywords=Capsicum pubescens&cart_id=

I second www.semillas.com for a great selection of different Capsicum pubescens. Don`t be concerned about ordering from outside of the USA.

Also try Junglerain in Australia, http://junglerain.com.au/chilli-seeds/species/capsicum-pubescens

These peppers are variously called Locato, Rocato, Rocoto, Locoto and Manzano. All the same species, it just depends what country they are from. Bolivian ones are usually Rocoto or Locoto. 

I have 20+ different types growing, but as per usual, they are only just starting to flower. I may have ripe pods by Christmas !

C.pubescens are pretty temperature sensitive. They like it on the cool side - 60-75°F is perfect. Above 85°F or so, they will often drop flowers and not set pods. Check out the posts by WIndchicken on Cabe Gendot, a C.pubescens from Indonesia that appears to be a bit more tolerant of heat. 

jsschrstrcks said:
there are rocato and locato, but also rocoto, and various aji that look like that.

I've not had any luck with any of the black seeded peppers growing in FL... BUT you may do better in TX. certainly worth trying.
Check out Romy6`s grow. He`s having a little luck with pubescens in Florida. 

I am trying to growing Rocoto/Rococco in northern Wi for the last 4 years an have not had much luck. Few pods and not productive even when it is a vigorous plant. I think they need something special. My soil is basic and I add acid so maybe it needs more acid,

Do not really know but the ones I get are great tasting---too bad so few.

I also second (third?) semillas.de for seeds. He got my order to Japan in about a week flat. My PI355812 that I grew from his seeds already has ripe pods that I'll be trying out soon, so that is definitely a variety to try in hotter/humid areas (here in Japan the summer I think they topped off around 38 Celsius while I was gone for the summer). It's a smaller variety than the one in the pic you posted though.

Speaking of, if you're not in a hurry, I can send you seeds once I pull them. They are open pollinated though. I have two other pubes growing near by.

smokemaster said:
I have seeds,some from Peter for several
Rocoto,Locoto and Manzano.
Pm me...
U.S. Posting should be faster...Ca. - Tx.

Lots faster for sure! Would take about a week to reach you from Japan.

I have some yellow rocoto, red rocoto and orange manzano I could spare. All I have grown this year except the orange manzano have flowered, set pods and have me waiting for ripe fruit.

PM if interested

Didn't read through all the post and missed offer from smokemaster, Thats the deal right there.

Everyone! Thank you as always!!

Nigel, Your answer is always informative.

I'd definitely need to get seeds asap then. The weather gets rather warm here during the summer and I'd rather have plants that are budding or fruiting prior to that.

jsschrstrcks and buddy, thank you for the links. I'll see what the boss thinks about it. 

Filmost, thank you for the offer as well. Just enjoy them from from your side the planet. BTW, I've always wanted to travel to Japan. My cousin lived over there for a little while studying the culture and he's studied the language for several years.

smokemaster said:
I have seeds,some from Peter for several
Rocoto,Locoto and Manzano.
Pm me...
U.S. Posting should be faster...Ca. - Tx.

HP22BH said:
I have some yellow rocoto, red rocoto and orange manzano I could spare. All I have grown this year except the orange manzano have flowered, set pods and have me waiting for ripe fruit.

PM if interested

Didn't read through all the post and missed offer from smokemaster, Thats the deal right there.

Thank you gentlemen! I'll definitely take you up on the offer.

Back