• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Rock wool chilli seed sowing plain water or nutrients?

Hello I want to sow some chilli seeds in rock wool and would like to know whether I hydrate the cube with plain ph balanced water and only add nutrients once I A) See the cotyledons, B) See the 1st set of true leaves, or Whether I sow the seed in rock wool hydrated with nutrients? If so what EC? 0.5?

Root: shoot
If you don't have roots you not going to have leaves.
Roots absorb nutes. No roots = no absorption.
Feeding before the plant is actually growing is useless. It can't absorb the nutes.
Transplant the seedlings into a medium that is well drained and allows for root proliferation. Then you can start ferts - usually around a month or so after germination.
Plants are not cavemen - they don't gorge and then fast - they like food a little and often. Feed at quarter recommended dose every week.
A proper proliferating root system plus nutes equals big productive plants.

Hello I want to sow some chilli seeds in rock wool and would like to know whether I hydrate the cube with plain ph balanced water and only add nutrients once I A) See the cotyledons, B) See the 1st set of true leaves, or Whether I sow the seed in rock wool hydrated with nutrients? If so what EC? 0.5?
I just joined but noticed this. So I can only speak to my own methods. I start my seeds in plain tap water until I see the cotyledons. This sounds like your first time so I always soak the rock wool first. Keep the rock wool moist, I only use mist on mine until they get some strength in the roots. Depends on what nutes you are using but for peppers mine thrive with my ph at around 6. I start adding my nutes after the first true leaves to avoid nutrient shock. Also if you are using a grow light or are indoors you want to know PAR ppfd vpd temp and humidity. Or do it simply just know the temp and humidity. I hope that helps a little. That’s a whole world

Back