beer RocketMan's BrewLog

Game Night
IMG_20160422_193720_zps6pyfindj.jpg

Been thinking and working on this for a bit, give me your thoughts.

Kirk Lambic

Grain Bill:
5 lbs. pilsner malt
3.5 lbs. malted wheat

Hops:
1 oz. Saaz for 60 minute

Yeast:
Belgian Ale yeast
Lambic Culture or Bret.

Additional:
6 to 9 lbs. Fresh Dark cherries

Mash:
Single Infusion: 3.25 gal. At 152 dF for 75 minutes.
Fly Sparge 4 gal. or till boil volume attained at 170 dF.

Boil:
75 minute boil, hops in at 60 minutes remaining.
Whirlpool, wait 10 minutes then run through Counterflow chiller into primary. Top up volume.

Pitch ale yeast at 70 dF.

Fermentation:
Primary fermentation at 68 dF for 2 weeks.
Rack onto fruit in secondary and pitch lambic culture or Bret at 50 D F for three to four weeks. Rack into third to clarify one week at 50 dF and one week at 42 dF.

Totally out of my realm, but knowing Wheebz will come behind I'll posit something ...

Might boil 90 for a batch primarily made of pilsner to keep the SMM/DMS/DMSO at bay, but especially if whirl-pooling before chilling ...

I'd be tempted to mash at 150F, too, to dry it out a bit, but I think the Brett will munch those longer-chain starches regardless ...

Thanks for posting, too, so Wheebz can shit on my face like Ike ...

:cheers:

Bret culture like that works best at 60 to 64 degrees. And it will take 18 to 24 months to work properly, not just 3 to 4 weeks

Bret blends like that are based on time and time alone. Well and blending. In fact if you pull it too early it could br really gross and you would dump what could turn out to be a great beer.

And lambic boils are typically 3 to 4 hours with aged hops.

Sat in a really good spontaneous fermentation panel with Russian river, allagash, prarie, and jester king yesterday

Pretty much everywhere during the right Temps and conditions during the year. Some will be better than others. But everywhere can do it

In fact I will be setting up a cool ship at my dad's house in his vineyard this summer to brew during the winter and harvest months

Saving up to get some new brew gear before I brew again like:

10 gallon brew kettle (ultimately I'll get 2)
2 6.5 Gallon Carboys

Doesn't mean there's nothing being produced. One of our favorite things during the hot days of a Florida summer after dinner is some Ice Cold Limoncello and a slice of Limoncello cheesecake. Super simple to make. I started a batch on Monday and this morning it looks like this:

F3A20414-C0CC-4CF6-A88C-F1B0014913DD_zps2fqxto4t.jpg

RocketMans Limoncello

2 Liters Everclear or other Pure Grain Alcohol
20 - 30 Lemons, common Eureka Lemons work great or for a little change try Myers Lemons. Try to find Organic Lemons
2 Liters filtered Water
3 Lbs Table Sugar

First clean the lemons really well so that no pesticides or waxy residue remain to get into your limoncello. We'll only be using the zest of the lemons so if you have a seater, grab it. Otherwise a potato peeler will work but you may need to go back over the strips with a very sharp knife and remove any of the white pith to keep your Limoncello from being bitter. Put the zest into a clean and sanitized gallon size glass jar with a good sealing lid.

Second, pour the alcohol over the lemon peel. Place some plastic wrap over the mouth and put the lid on. For the first week keep it in a cabinet in the kitchen and give it a good shake in the morning and in the evening. Then place it in a dark cool place for a total of 40 days. Order your bottles if you don't have any saved up.

Third, when the 40 days are up make a simple syrup from the water and sugar. You may want to increase the amount of syrup if you don't want a strong Limoncello. Bring the sugar and water to a boil just long enough for all of the sugar to be dissolved. Let it cool to room temperature.

Using a fine wire strainer and perhaps some cheese cloth strain the liquor into a new clean and sanitized container and then add the simple syrup. Stir to combine them and close the container. Let it sit overnight and bottle the next day. I like to use 500 ml clear flip top bottles. Put a couple in the freezer to get good and cold and it's ready to use.

This year I'm thinking about doing a couple of variations too. A Basil infused Limoncello and a Crema Di Limoncello. Another possibility I'm considering is a Cayenne infused Limoncello, but we'll see about that one

I posted the how to in #388 above and at the end of the post listed what I was thinking about doing. In all I have 3 batches going.

Limoncello
Crema Di Limoncello
Limoncello al Balisco

The Crema is the first one finished, the Basil infused will be the next one finished and the traditional will be last. They should all finish a week apart. I didn't take any pictures of processing this time but I'll get some next time. It really is one of the easiest things and best tasting things you can make.

Have you ever done a coffee "cello". That is really what I want to try next. I found a couple of Recipes for coffee liquor that looked interesting.

Check this out:
https://www.gishwhes.com

Might be fun to put together a team, teams are 15 people and if we can't come up with 15 they'll attach people from around the world to plus up the team, for a chance for an all expenses paid trip to Iceland. The projects looks like their fun and some are random acts of kindness type of activities. Im going to see if any of my local friends are interested and we could easily spread the team out the way it's set up. Check it out!

Edit:
Oh, registration is less than $19.00

RocketMan said:

Yeah, but I don't have Perlick taps yet :)

For some reason I thought you built a a fancy kegerator last Summer ... maybe just posted up some variants and selected your fav, is all, huh? ...

Well, guess it's a bigger project, then! :party:

You still livin' la vida Thespian? ...

Back