beer Rocketmans Flaming Pumpkin Colonial Brew

Well, it's about time to get started on this years Flaming Pumpkin. I ordered the grains from Northern Brewer this year.

6EF8A3DF-8A5B-40A0-8634-8778ADE93901.png_zpsqpqglpgi.jpeg

Still a few more things to pick up. Shooting for a 10/10 brew day

RocketMan said:
Well, it's about time to get started on this years Flaming Pumpkin. I ordered the grains from Northern Brewer this year.

6EF8A3DF-8A5B-40A0-8634-8778ADE93901.png_zpsqpqglpgi.jpeg

Still a few more things to pick up. Shooting for a 10/10 brew day
I was wondering when/if you were going to do this.

This will be the first time making it AG. So I'm really looking forward to it this year. I pushed the brew date to the 10th hoping to have the use of my whole left hand back. I had surgery on my thumb to correct the base joint being bone on bone and my grip is limited by the wrap. I'll make sure it's well documented though.

RocketMan said:
First bubbles appeared after about 25 minutes.

I was going to ask when you first posted you'd be doing this today, and then earlier, but I've been so slammed that I was waiting it out ... but I can't help my curiosity ...

From what I've read or heard (podcasts), the sweet spot is up to about 24 hours on the starter, and that it starts to actually drain the yeasties of resources from 24 -> 36 hrs, and that you really don't want to be in the 36 -> 48 hr part ...

Now, I know some folks take it off after 24 hrs and then refrigerate it, and then largely decant it before pitching at some point afterwards as an option ...

I'd decided for my own case, that I wouldn't let them go to 48 hrs, that I would kill the plate after a day, let it settle a bit, decant, and step it up w/ a 2nd can from 24 hrs on and tend towards over-pitching ...

Wheebz has sort of said he will make one the day before and use it the following day when I've asked ...

I mean, for a normal beer it's probably a window, but ...

The D.E. stout batch was the one I had to repitch a fresh vial of WLP001 into, when the starter that went 65-70 hrs failed to get it going ... those tired starter yeasties flocc'd right out and didn't even bother w/ that wort, that time =)

Anyways ...

There's a lot of places all across the net that talk about 24-48 starter's, but when I really looked at the better sources of info re: yeast, it seemed to suggest that 8-18 hrs was the peak concentration window ...

Anyways, just curious if you were planning to chill/decant, or if you are going 48 or ? ..

CHEERS!

When I've made this before I didn't have a stir plate so the starter just set in the beaker for that time. This is good to know so I'll let it run for 24 and sit and wait till I pitch it on Friday. Might run it a bit, less than an hour just before pitching to make sure it's all blended up for the pitch, but nothing more than that.

Preparations for brewing started early this morning.

Sanitized some of the gear I'll be using with Idophor. Here it's running through the Counterflow Chiller from the Ale Pale that I'll be fermenting it in.

A4DD6F1E-13AC-4ED0-BBB8-1009E3CA2921_zpskbt94lxz.jpg

3.5 gallons boiled and run through the chiller. The chiller took it from 212 dF to 92 dF using just tap water.

98C20C6E-6D66-49FA-A7DC-74DAE93A1C5B_zpsrycwtohc.jpg

F7D24689-8907-4D26-8D3A-DD041314E1C7_zpseyrtnsbi.jpg

Into the Fermentation Chamber to give it the final chill

88D6CE12-0A05-46D1-B0A5-AE3D52A0900A_zpsjxi2xmma.jpg

Went up a degree while it was open, it's set for 8 dC (46 dF) should have it nice and chilled by brew time. I'll throw the air stone in at lunch and start it bubbling.

B725DE0C-AD1C-4305-A6EF-2277C07A4371_zpsmwx8yovy.jpg

Not sure when I'll kick it off. Probably be this evening after the kids are in bed.

Cheers Y'all

:cool:

I'll be looking out for the action, later on!

Going to be cleaning and sanitizing and setting up today, and getting a starter going, and then tomorrow I'll brew Wheebz' ditty ...

Back