• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rocoto and Manzano

About when should I start seeds? They seem to take so long I am tempted to start now. In New England the season isnt very long it seems as though I get a few to ripen then the rest are picked green to ripen indoors. Any tips or hints I really love these peppers.

Personally I gave up growing all C. pubescens. They just don't seem to produce well for me no matter when I start them or what environment I put them in. They do however seem to like filtered light(not necessarily shade) although I know some people who have great success under full sunlight

I start mine right now.Then they fruit in the spring and again in the fall.

These were planted mid Dec. last year and I think I should have started them earlier.
Buds and small pods right now.

Last red for the last season

IM004237.jpg

Last yellow golfballs

IM004235.jpg

Buds now-few days ago,pods too small to see.

IM004227.jpg

IM004228.jpg

Those look really great SM!! On the other side of the nation the weather isnt as nice as in CA Im in CT btw.

POTAWIE said:
Personally I gave up growing all C. pubescens. They just don't seem to produce well for me no matter when I start them or what environment I put them in. They do however seem to like filtered light(not necessarily shade) although I know some people who have great success under full sunlight

Mine did well in semi-shaded area the direct sun one although produced a pod was smaller than its shaded bretheren - In the shade the big beautiful plant plenty of pods just the ripening process was forever -- Then Oct came and finished the season off for me. Just needed more time.

Back