• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rocoto Pollination Methods

How do you pollinate your Rocotos?

• Finger tip

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Q-Tip

• Paint Brush

• Other

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
This is my first year growing Rocoto's and I think I'm having a little trouble with pollination (sounds personal doesn't it?). I recently tried using a Q-tip. I don't believe that it took, but I will need a few days yet to be sure. The articles that I have come across say to use a Q-tip, your finger, or a small paint brush. I think that I'm going to use a small damp paint brush next. Am I on the right track?

Nice to see the poll option being used!
I'm lazy and if I hand pollinate at all its usually with a pepper leaf (stem side). When freshly snapped off, juices flow which hold pollen. My Rocotos are starting to look great but need major trellissing or support.

Cap said:
[COLOR=blue']Dumb question. Is it safe for me to assume that these are indoor plants? [/COLOR]

No, They are outdoors. One in the garden and one on the deck. After the blossum dies you can see the tip of the pepper as usual. But it dies and falls off the plant a few days after the blossum dies.

My first year growing Rocotos too. I find they like a little more shade than most plants, especially when flowering. How's the heat/weather in Indiana. Maybe too sunny/hot for good flowering?

POTAWIE said:
My first year growing Rocotos too. I find they like a little more shade than most plants, especially when flowering. How's the heat/weather in Indiana. Maybe too sunny/hot for good flowering?

It's been in the 70s to high 80s. They seem to be flowering ok. I get 4 or 5 flowers at one time on each plant. They are in bloom for a week and then the flower dies. About three or four days later the blossom end dies. I'll try moving one to a shaded area and see if it helps. Both plants look very healthy and are growing like crazy.

I'm really going to show my ignorance here. Until I found this site, I've just been growing peppers by sticking the plants in the ground and watching them grow. Why do you need to pollinate the plants if they're outdoors? I've heard of this before, but haven't paid it much attention.

Cap said:
From what I understand, they are not self pollinating. They need a little help from the bees, or Bubba in his manly bee suit. Now, I'm not completely clear on the issue. It sounds as if they cannot pollinate themselves (stay with me here, keep it out of the gutter..) it needs to come from another plant. Until I receive clarafication I will continue crossing the two pubescens that I have. I'm not quite sure what the problem is yet sun, heat, my technique. Don't know.

I think only some pubescens will not self-pollinate. I have one Rocoto on its own and its got small apples on it now. I was worried like you, but after some minor hand pollinating, most rocotos now have some pods.

sixstring75 said:
From what I understand, they are not self pollinating. .

I have grown many pubescens with plenty of fruit in a greenhouse and do nothing to the flowers. They self-pollinate.

I run a fan 16 hr/day........

Still podless.........The potted plant is in the shade for most of the day, if not all day. Temps have been in the 90's. Both plants continue to flower nicely, but then die. Plant growth for the potted one has slowed, while the one in the garden (sun all day) continues to march upward and outward. I may move the potted one inside if it doesn't have pod set shortly.

Have you used any epsom salts? I think the iron or magnesium or something is helpful. At least from what some gardening show said.

My rocotto's have nice pods growing, but are difficult to support. I'm planning to build a trellis/cage to support my big girl. Any suggestions or pics?

POTAWIE said:
Have you used any epsom salts? I think the iron or magnesium or something is helpful. At least from what some gardening show said.

My rocotto's have nice pods growing, but are difficult to support. I'm planning to build a trellis/cage to support my big girl. Any suggestions or pics?

Nope I have not, I will try the epson salts. Thanks

Back