• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Rocoto sausage - help contribute to the recipe

We've got a few kilos of green Manzano Rojos that have a pretty good amount of heat and aren't going to turn color.

I was thinking that there might be a sausage upcoming during this week or so.

Of course I could go simple and just use grated cheddar and call it a day. But this might be fun to get some input on how to build the recipe, then I will document all the sausage making steps with photos and instructions.

We've got a heavy-duty Bosch electric meat grinder (a real dream to work with) and a big Dick sausage stuffer (holds 15 lbs of mix when fully loaded). The big Dick requires some heavy-duty manual cranking in order to push the mix out into the casings (we use hog intestines soaked in brine).

Here's a picture of the meat grinder:

61Cx18WeVPL._SY879_.jpg

And here's a picture of the sausage stuffer:

SmSausageStuffer.jpg

So, let's hear it - what would you put into the mix besides pork shoulder and green Manzano Rojos?

Garlic powder, onion powder, fennel seed

The Hot Pepper said:
Garlic powder, onion powder, fennel seed

Interesting. You don't think the fennel would be overpowered by the heat from the rojos? I use fennel a lot when making Greek sausage with red wine, normally where the fennel is the star of the show. Never thought to mix it with heat.

podz said:
We've got a few kilos of green Manzano Rojos that have a pretty good amount of heat and aren't going to turn color.

I was thinking that there might be a sausage upcoming during this week or so.

Of course I could go simple and just use grated cheddar and call it a day. But this might be fun to get some input on how to build the recipe, then I will document all the sausage making steps with photos and instructions.

We've got a heavy-duty Bosch electric meat grinder (a real dream to work with) and a big Dick sausage stuffer (holds 15 lbs of mix when fully loaded). The big Dick requires some heavy-duty manual cranking in order to push the mix out into the casings (we use hog intestines soaked in brine).

Here's a picture of the meat grinder:

61Cx18WeVPL._SY879_.jpg

And here's a picture of the sausage stuffer:

SmSausageStuffer.jpg

So, let's hear it - what would you put into the mix besides pork shoulder and green Manzano Rojos?
Reading your description of the sausage stuffer while drinking coffee didn't work out. Now I have to clean coffee out of my nose and off my computer!

Tybo said:
Reading your description of the sausage stuffer while drinking coffee didn't work out. Now I have to clean coffee out of my nose and off my computer!

It's true, though - you really need to put your arm into it to get it to squirt stuff out! It would be better to have the damned thing bolted down to the countertop.

podz said:

It's true, though - you really need to put your arm into it to get it to squirt stuff out! It would be better to have the damned thing bolted down to the countertop.
WELL, you have all kinds of tools and the hardware store should have bolts![emoji848] [emoji6]

skullbiker said:
WELL, you have all kinds of tools and the hardware store should have bolts![emoji848] [emoji6]

Wife wouldn't let me bolt it down to our kitchen countertop and we don't have space for a permanent stand. It's a homeless device that gets stored here and there because it is just so large.

podz said:

Wife wouldn't let me bolt it down to our kitchen countertop and we don't have space for a permanent stand. It's a homeless device that gets stored here and there because it is just so large.
I pretty well knew that(being married myself), just giving you a little monday crap!

Mr.joe said:
So basically you can't find a good place to store your big dick because it's too large? Talk about a problem I don't have.
Sorry, no experience making sausage so I'm no help here

That's Dick with a big D, mister!

F. Dick is a very famous German brand name in the pro butcher arena - sausage machines, butcher knives, etc.

Also sage! Sage works wonders with pork. You can add some apple as well. Apple sage mmmmm!

Try an al pastor sausage with pineapple and enchilada type red sauce! 

Back