Rocoto still not ripe

I have a Rocoto that has a few large peppers on it. I brought the plant inside (by my south facing sliding glass door) to hopfully get the pods ripe. They have started showing a tiny hint of red but I am afraid that I am quickly running out of time.

I only had 10 seeds to start with and only this one plant ended up germinating.

So my question is this:

Is it possible to get seeds from the pods now, and they will be viable or should I wait and hope that the pods turn red before obtaining the seeds?

I had one pod that already went soft before turning at all. All the others look very healthy but I would like to get some seeds from this plant to try germinating and planting again for next spring.

Rocoto need a very long growing season, I have had the soft pod problem on my Chocolate Scorpion plant, I think it was more to do with environmental factors than time.  Rocoto also like cooler temps I understand so even though inside your house and season is winding down they should be fine to eventually ripen. 

Just my thoughts. 

The Seeds might be good already but IMO wait as long as you can is the best thing to do, being inside your not going to have to worry about frost.   

Thank you for the replies!

The one pod that went soft was on a branch that also looked suspect. the rest of the plant looks very good. I am hoping I can overwinter the whole thing anyway and get a jump start for next year, but just in case I want seeds. it's just hard here in the Seattle area, I don't get a long season.

I am also hoping I can actually TASTE the damn thing. hehe.

I have read that the Rocoto cannot cross pollinate, is this true?

Welcome to "Overwintering Rocotos 101"! I would never get ripe rocotos if I didn't bring them inside.

Cross-pollination - there is a chart on thechileman.org that shows which types cross with which others. Pubescens (of which rocotos are a variety) will only cross with other pubescens. So it's not that they won't cross at all, just that they won't cross with, say, chinenses.

geeme said:
Welcome to "Overwintering Rocotos 101"! I would never get ripe rocotos if I didn't bring them inside.

Cross-pollination - there is a chart on thechileman.org that shows which types cross with which others. Pubescens (of which rocotos are a variety) will only cross with other pubescens. So it's not that they won't cross at all, just that they won't cross with, say, chinenses.

Great info, thx! 

geeme said:

You have to be doing something wrong at some point during the process. Also,there are earler season varieties and more prolific ones too. I have noticed the large podded orange varieties are less prolific and very long seasoned.

Pubescens cross with eximium/cardenasii complex.

Ok, thank you for all the info! I will wait it out and see what I get.

It is a really beautiful plant so I hope I can make it survive.

Pr0digal_son said:
You have to be doing something wrong at some point during the process. Also,there are earler season varieties and more prolific ones too. I have noticed the large podded orange varieties are less prolific and very long seasoned.

Pubescens cross with eximium/cardenasii complex.
Ok, Pr0d…. I have red, yellow, and orange rocoto plants. None are large-podded. I am sure I'm doing something "wrong", but mostly in years past it's been high heat flash causing flower drop until late in the season.

I stand corrected on the crossing. 

Nigel said:
Once Rocotos start to go red (or yellow, or orange), they usually don`t take too long to ripen. Just hang in there and they will be fine. 

You weren't kidding! It went completely red in 2 days!   :D

Back