• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

raised-bed Rocoto's in raised bed?

I'm thinking of growing some rocoto's in my raised beds and was wondering if anyone else has done it before, I'm curious as to how far to space them apart because of the way they grow. I'm also gonna place them behind the tomatoes in my garden so they get a cooling/shading effect because they prefer lower temperature's than other peppers. The way the sun goes around my garden that will the perfect spot for them.

Thanks for any info guys/gals.

I'm not sure of your climate but they might prefer more shade than the tomato's can provide depending on type (some can tolerate more sun, most don't).
I don't have experience with raised beds and pubes (I'm in pots with my pubes, I like to be mobile if need be) but I wouldn't plant any less than three and a half foot spacing imo. They can get quite wide fast once they get going.

my two bits, hope it helps  :cheers:

They do fine in raised beds, I'm growing mine in raised beds for the first time this season and they are flourishing to say the least.

My beds are against a fence, and the Rocoto's are closest to the fence. Mainly because they get so damn big, they'll easily smother any other plants around them. The fence also does provide afternoon shade from about 5pm onwards, other than that they are in full sun.

However, it's in winter (I'm in Australia) that the pods are at their best.

SR.

hogleg said:
I'm not sure of your climate but they might prefer more shade than the tomato's can provide depending on type (some can tolerate more sun, most don't).
I don't have experience with raised beds and pubes (I'm in pots with my pubes, I like to be mobile if need be) but I wouldn't plant any less than three and a half foot spacing imo. They can get quite wide fast once they get going.

my two bits, hope it helps  :cheers:

I finally got around to planting them, weather's been a bitch. I spaced them 3 ft. apart instead so I could fit one more in the row, we'll see how they do.

I planted 4 in raised beds last year and they grew like monsters...about 4 feet tall and almost as big in circumference. They were also strategically placed so that they got afternoon shade from a large pine tree. The only problem I ran into was getting them to ripen in a timely manner. Middle of the summer I got flower drop due to heat and then when fruit set it was late fall so depending on your location get a good head start or overwinter

Best of luck to you. I love the flavor they have!

Back