• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rocotos that handle Florida

I have read from several sources that although most Rocotos cannot handle the heat of Florida, there are a few types that can. Unfortunately no one mentioned the specific varieties. Does anyone know the names of these?

juanitos said:
Not too sure why some have said that.. Some of them come from mexico where its just as hot.

But are they grown during the hot season there?

edit: Peru Bitdumi and Rio Huallaga are two varieties I bought at Pepperlover because both of their descriptions mentioned mentioned their hardiness and adaptability to grow in varied climates. This is only based on Judy's descriptions, though - this will be the first season I've grown them (or any pube).
     She tends to have good descriptions on her site. I've found them to be pretty accurate. I bet if you PMed her, she'd have several to recommend.

I will  look into those two varieties Hybrid Mode 01.
Juanitos, is it the heat, or humidity? Or both? Maybe Mexico is drier..I seem to remember humidity being a problem, but I can't say for sure, as I have zero experience growing Rocotos. My first hybrid of Rocotos the Rocopica will be grown next season.

I bet summer in Japan is similar to summer in Florida humidity +heat wise. With that in mind, I grew judy's giant mexican rocoto and two other varieties from Semillas la palma and while they grew fine, it took until October for pods to take off. 95% didn't ripen :-(.

I think pubes in general prefer cooler weather, so you might want to experiment with shade netting. That's my plan for the next time I grow them anyway.

harry in Australia might be able to advise better. I think his summers are also extreme and yet he always seems to have fantastic results with pubes.

All of my locotos/rocotos HATE the heat and direct sunlight. They will not grow, they will shrivel and die. I put them in a partially shaded area away from direct sunlight and they grow 12' tall and produce like no tomorrow.

However, I have almost zero humidity here, so not sure how that would affect their growths.

I have been trying to grow pubes for years here . All types, seasons, and shade no shade . Gave up . Too damn humid .  :mope:

Back