food Rogue Smoked Rasta Ribs w/ Scotch Bonnet Mango-Peach Sauce

This was definitely a departure for me.  New, very bold flavor(s) that I really enjoyed, but probably not something I could eat on a regular basis.  Maybe with some spleef... :rolleyes:  

Marinade ingredients.  Basically, a jerk recipe.

Baby Back.  2.89lb.

Time for an overnight soaking.

First chunk, hickory.  The rest, apple.

The naked rack was for the wife.  Salted, only...

Done.   Even after 3.75 hours, these were not "fall off the bone tender".  I did not wrap them.  Minimal smoke ring,  which I attribute (perhaps wrongly) to the marinade.  No shortage of smoke flavor, and juiciness, though.

With the Scotch Mango-Peach Sauce.

Good job, Jim! Looks fantastic!

grantmichaels said:
Looks good! ... nice pink too, not sure why you feel it's minimal ...

I'll take deeply penetrative pink over a shallow red ring any day of the week ...

I agree! Who cares if it takes a pretty picture (these do, don't get me wrong!). What really matters is flavor.

I love me a good jerk sauce. Care to share the recipe? My family loves ribs, but so far our recipes are fairly basic. I'd love to try something new and my own jerk sauce is getting old.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
Good job, Jim! Looks fantastic!

I agree! Who cares if it takes a pretty picture (these do, don't get me wrong!). What really matters is flavor.

I love me a good jerk sauce. Care to share the recipe? My family loves ribs, but so far our recipes are fairly basic. I'd love to try something new and my own jerk sauce is getting old.

4-5 Scotch Bonnets
1 bunch scallions
2-3 cloves garlic
1" ginger
3 tbls cilantro
1/2 tbls thyme
1tbls brown sugar
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbls oil
2 tbls rum
2 tbls soy
1/2 c. orange juice

I like the look of that "smoke" penetration too, even though smoke has little to do with smoke ring . It is how gasses interact with myoglobin in the meat before it hits a temp  where it won't set the colour.    Your probably right about the marinade helping with tha, though, as a moist surface and slow temp increase will let the pink colour penetrate further. 

Back