• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Rome Jalapeno Question

I bought some seeds a few years ago from a vendor and forgot about them until this year when I was looking through my box of pepper seeds. It is a Rome Jalapeno apparently purchased from Sandia Seed Company. I emailed them and asked if they still sold this variety (it wasn't on their website) and if it was a hybrid or open pollinated. They replied that they weren't selling this right now and suggested some other varieties for my growing pleasure. They didn't answer the hybrid question. Does anyone here know about this variety? Am I wasting my time saving seeds later? 

On another note, I am new to this forum. How does on insert an image into a post?

Thanks. 

I poked around a bit and couldn't figure that out either.  It sounds like it's a hotter variety jalapeno, though, and pretty good sized, too.

I get seeds from Sandia periodically and have emailed them before.  Usually they're great about getting back to me, but there's been a time or two they've dropped the ball or didn't really answer my question.

Selected "more reply options" button bottom right of your editable post box, then the "select file" and "attach this file" (upload) buttons will show up on the lower left.

Thanks for the response CaneDog. The reason I bought the seeds was that I read it was at the top of the heat scale for a Jalapeno. I think it was 2018 when I got them from a vendor I found (http://nmchili.com). I forgot all about the seeds until this year. I did the old paper towel/baggie trick and got some to germinate. I tried looking up information on it and can't find a thing. I'm scared they're gonna suck otherwise there would be a following for this variety. I always grow japs and have grown Jalapeno M, El Jefe, and Jalafuego. Anyway, I'm gonna plant two and isolate one of them as best I can for seeds. Here's a pic of the seed packet:

Attachments

• Rome_jap.jpg
    Rome_jap.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 152
Cool.  If it lives up to the hype, it's definitely worth the grow.  F1 hybrids usually say so on the pack, but I suppose you can't count on that for sure.  Maybe someone who knows will chime in. 

Hope you post more about it later in the season.  It seems like an interesting one.

It's difficult to say why some varieties never get any traction in the market place, but it's a crowded field.

If I had to guess, it probably has less to do with the Rome Jalapeño being a bad pepper, and more to do the the vast number of alternative peppers to choose from.

Could even have to do with just a random name being given to an already existing strain. I've seen certain NuMex strains sold as different names at various big box stores with no mention by the university of those even being peppers they've created. 

Good stuff.  They look ready to go.  I'm interested to see them develop and how the pods turn out.

The 2 plants seem to look a bit different from one another in the pics - leaves a bit and petiole color.  I know environment / conditions can cause that, but it kinda caught my eye.  Have you noticed that seeing them in person?

I noticed the differences, too. They both are from that same seed pack. The outside one sprouted first and seemed to be stronger and healthier than the other one. About two weeks ago, it just kicked into gear and really started looking good. The indoor one hasn't even been topped yet. I'm hoping it will get going and start looking better than it does now. Maybe they are different from each other. We shall see... 

That very snippet on SFGATE is what started me on this odyssey in the first place. I wanted a jalapeno with an extra kick to it. I wound up submitting a question about this variety last week to the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University and got a response back today: Good Morning Gary, The Rome Jalapeno is open-pollinated. I'll be saving seeds if this thing pans out.

JGBaxter59 said:
That very snippet on SFGATE is what started me on this odyssey in the first place. I wanted a jalapeno with an extra kick to it. I wound up submitting a question about this variety last week to the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University and got a response back today: Good Morning Gary, [/size]The Rome Jalapeno is open-pollinated. I'll be saving seeds if this thing pans out.[/size]

Interestingly, If you follow this link, ChilliBOM Blog , you'll find this:

JALAPEÑO VARIETIES
The Mucho Nacho peppers will give you mucho heat and are one of the hottest of their kind. These peppers grow up to a full inch longer than the average Jalapeños, making them thicker, fatter, heavier and of course hotter. They rate at 4500 - 6000 on the Scoville scale.
But if you’re after something even hotter, the Rome Jalapeño at 7000 - 9000 SHU is one of the hottest Jalapeños you’ll find.
Chipotle. We’ve all heard of this chilli before and surprise, surprise it’s a Jalapeños. More specifically it’s a smoked, dried Jalapeño. Of the Chipotle there’s two types: the Chipotle Morita, a purple chilli from the north of Mexico and the Chipotle Meco, a grey chilli from central, south Mexico. They’re both recognised by their dry and earthy flavours that add a great touch to any dish.
The mildest of the Jalapeños is the Señorita Jalapeño, rating a measly 400 SHU or less. So if you want heat in a small dose, this is your go-to.
For those who want to completely skip on the heat, there are also sweet Jalapeños. These Jalapeños have been developed by cultivist for everyone's enjoyment. These are jalapeños that look, smell, taste and feel the same as normal jalapeños except that they lack capsinoids, so they don't burn.

And when you click on the link in the Rome info area, guess where it takes you?

Back to the SFGate page!

I am finally getting some ripe peppers off this baby. I've eaten a handful and I got to say I think this is the hottest jalapeno I've ever grown. I am growing a Biker Billy for comparison, and this Rome variety has a tiny bit more of a sting to it. It has a really nice flavor, the plant is healthy (and a lot bigger than the BB), and continues to flower. We've had such a weird summer here in Alabama, so much rain. We usually get popup showers during the summer, but this year days and days of downpouring rain. A lot of flowers got knocked off, so I would have had a lot more peppers to enjoy. I grew a Jalafuego a few years back and I think the production was better than this variety, and the peppers were larger. Overall, I will definitely grow this variety again. Here's a pic comparing two ripe ones with a green Biker Billy. I'm going to give these a few more days on the counter till they start to soften, then I will harvest the seeds.

rome_jap_02.jpg

That's awesome. Things were looking great already in that July 3 pic above, I bet that outdoor one in particular is a beast by now. Good hear how well they turned out. Often they don't live up to the hype, but it seems this one does. I'm surprised seeds aren't more available as good as they sound.

Very much sounds like Numex Vaquero this one I usually grow this billy biker and Craig's grande as I adore Jalas,it's not unusual..wish it was for vendors to change names to make there peppers stand out .
But the heat on the Vaquero is exellent only beaten by the Orange spice in terms of heat.
If it's the Vaquero or not sure sounds a lovely J to grow.🙂👍

Last edited:
It does sound and look like (after seeing some pics) the Numex Vaquero. I may order some seeds from NM State and grow it right alongside the Rome to compare. After I get the seeds harvested let me know if any of you want to grow it and I'll send you some.

It does sound and look like (after seeing some pics) the Numex Vaquero. I may order some seeds from NM State and grow it right alongside the Rome to compare. After I get the seeds harvested let me know if any of you want to grow it and I'll send you some.
Would love to try it and if there not a Vaquero it be nice to have a New variety to add to my Jala growing next year,love them pickled to eat in the cooler months.🙂👍

Back