• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Romertopf Clay Cookers

I use one of these all the time . Love It !! I've done country ribs , a stew several times , but do whole chicken the most. Season the chicken as you like , toss in veggies of your choice and it always turns out nice. A no fail easy meal.

My wife wants to try one on her own. A Chicken .... she wants no help ( ? ) from me......... I'm ok with that , but she wants to use an old one her Mom gave her that is smaller than mine. I'm not sure about the size of hers . Mine is the #113 which is about 12 3/4" x 9" . In mine I cook it at 450 from a cold oven for 100 minutes using the largest roasting chicken I can find. Around 4 lbs and I add veggies . And I have to check my chicken because it always seems to vary a little from time to time. My clay pot is bigger as I've said.

So if she's using a smaller pot ... smaller chicken ( 3 lbs ) and less if any vegetables .... should she turn the heat down ? Cook for less time ? Any thoughts ??

Peace & Thanks,
P.Dreadie

I found an answer and will share in case anyone else ever needs an answer to this question. I went to a small local retailer .... the lady was great. We opened a box that had one the size that the wife wants to use. The instructions were the same. Even the sheet was the same size.

This lady uses these and she told the wife to check the temperature the first couple of times to get it down and close to being done. After a few tries she'll have the time close and won't have to check the temp a 1/2 dozen times. Or use a chicken with a pop up thermometer. That was what I had said , but she liked hearing it from the lady .

Peace,
P.Dreadie

Back