• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Root Pruning Pots and Starter Trays

I'm thinking about planting a few chiles in pots this coming season, and am intrigued by what I've read about the pots and starter trays that encourage greater than normal root branching in the plants placed therein.

Would any of you folks who have hands-on experience with them like to share?

tupper's the man on airpots, smartpots and bags, here is an old link if you haven't already viewed it:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/24715-smart-pot-vs-air-pot-vs-cheap-azz-pot/page__hl__%20air%20%20pot

I will say this, dont order the root builder ones, I got sample of them at a hydro store in orlando and they were horriblely made. It was super thin plastic and very flimsy, The air pots are much better constructed.

tupper's the man on airpots, smartpots and bags, here is an old link if you haven't already viewed it:

http://thehotpepper....__hl__ air pot
Thanks Mark! Seems like the thread kind of fizzled out, but the info is there. Out of curiousity, how did your improvised smart pots work for you? Coir pots are a lot cheaper than air pots. If the effect is the same, why spend the extra money...

I will say this, dont order the root builder ones, I got sample of them at a hydro store in orlando and they were horriblely made. It was super thin plastic and very flimsy, The air pots are much better constructed.
Thanks Josh, that's good to know. If I ever do spend that much on a pot I want to know I can rely on it to last more than a season or two.

I don't know about the starter trays, but the Root Pouches are relatively inexpensive and are also supposed to air-prune the roots. I'm going to try a few this coming season.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Out of curiousity, how did your improvised smart pots work for you?[/background]

the silly container with the cut up straw was just a "made for tv gimmick", i find the coir containers to be very dense and the roots do the exact same as in a regular container. when i transplant the coir into larger pots, i found i have to slice the coir to allow the roots to break through.

BUT, i have gone to all my 1 gallon containers and drilled holes into the side of the container and put more holes in the bottoms. then with the 1 gallon sizes i found that inserting them into kraft cool whip containers allows me to bottom water and feed and the roots reach for the nutrient.

Back