• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rootone or Bontone

I've used these rooting powders before and they work well on ornamental stuff, but I've heard that using rooting powder on edible plants will have bad consequences if consumed. I don't want my unborn children to grow 6 heads or anything like that, although that would come in handy in certain situations later in life.

I searched on the forums for rootone and found a few hits, it seems like people are using it and not worrying about the warnings.

Can anyone shoot down or give merit to the rooting powders being harmful to edible plants?

From what I gather, rooting powder contains the naturally occurring plant growth regulator Auxin and an assortment of nutrients. I don't think it will cause any mutations if used properly.

i use, plant prod's "stim-root" # 1 and homemade pussy willow tea. though i haven't had pods from my stim-root as i just bought it this year. i have used pussy willow in my homemade form. as of today i am still here. some may say i have a little ecentric side but that goes with growing things. my grandfather died at 72(an alcoholic from WW2), my father died from lung cancer at 73 from asbestos in the lung(captain of a fire department back when masks weren't available), my guess i will die when i am 75 from some form of cancer that i never expected(wireless exposure as i have specialize in high tech wireless for 25 years).

so, if rooting powders is your fear, go for a virginian walk and look for a willow tree, cut its young fresh leaves and bring them home. chop up the leaves and put them into a pail, pour hot boiling water over them. let the must cool and bottle it. you should have fresh, natural, organic rooting hormone.

good luck

i use, plant prod's "stim-root" # 1 and homemade pussy willow tea. though i haven't had pods from my stim-root as i just bought it this year. i have used pussy willow in my homemade form. as of today i am still here. some may say i have a little ecentric side but that goes with growing things. my grandfather died at 72(an alcoholic from WW2), my father died from lung cancer at 73 from asbestos in the lung(captain of a fire department back when masks weren't available), my guess i will die when i am 75 from some form of cancer that i never expected(wireless exposure as i have specialize in high tech wireless for 25 years).

so, if rooting powders is your fear, go for a virginian walk and look for a willow tree, cut its young fresh leaves and bring them home. chop up the leaves and put them into a pail, pour hot boiling water over them. let the must cool and bottle it. you should have fresh, natural, organic rooting hormone.

good luck

Hey BC! Question regarding the willow. Will dried leaves work as well? If so i have one in my back yard and if folks want (if they can't find their own) i can do some snail mail deliveries if anyone wants to PM me regarding. Cheers All!!

i don't know benny, if dried leaves would work or not, my guess is no. from everything that i have read the tonic, that you create, is volatile and should be used within days of being made. but i am not a chemist. or perhaps just the opposite may happen, grabbing a handful of fresh leaves, putting them into a dehydrator may concentrate the indolebutyric acid - you know like another product we are use too.

everything i have read about store bought products containing indolebutyric acid say it has a very short shelf life.

if would nice to find out though, what a nice offering to complement seeds, plants and other services. that with red wiggler pooh compost.

Back