• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Rough weekend

It has been a tough few days for us. My wife started going into labor last Thursday just after noon, things did not progress as the doctor liked so they began Pitocin to help her along. Didn't help too much but did finally get to the point of pushing at 12:15 Friday. After 3 hours he was stuck, only had an inch or so to go but it was not happening, the doc decided to attempt to help with a vacuum tool with no success. Off to the ER she went and a short time later baby Chase was with us at 15:41 weighing in at 7 lbs 7 ozs measuring 20.25". After getting momma fixed up and Chase bundled and checked it was off to recovery.

A short time later the docs from the NICU came up to give him a more thorough once over and were not too happy with what they found, he had a large pocket of blood forming between his skull and scalp known as a 'sub galael' which can be life threatening if the bleeding does not stop. He was then rushed off to the NICU where they attempted to start an IV but had no success and had then go in through the umbilical cord to get some fluids in him and try to determine the cause of the bleed. 4 hrs later it was still bleeding and he was beginning to run a bit low on blood and his vitals were starting to drop. We decided with the docs it was time to get him moved somewhere better and begin a transfusion to keep him with us. A quick ride in the transport ambulance into D.C. to Children's National and directly in for a CT scan things started to improve. The transfusion did the trick and the CT scan showed the bleed had stopped and there was no damage or bleeding inside the skull or brain.

He was then placed in the NICU at Children's and I haven't left him since and won't be except to go pick momma up when she gets discharged and bring her directly over here. He has stabilized but remains hooked up to the monitors and receiving IV fluids and an EEG machine to monitor him for seizures just in case. A spinal tap was done yesterday afternoon to rule out any bacterial infections and once they come back over the course of the next 48 hours we should be on our way home. We're still not out of the woods yet but heading in the right direction.

The docs here are excellent and the nurses very supportive. It's been even harder on my wife since she is stuck at the other hospital and not been able to hold her baby or feed him since he was born. I have learned very quickly in my short time here that all of you are very kind and generous, I ask if any of you are the praying kind please say a quick one for my boy, If your not that's fine then send good vibes, omens, spells, whatever you got his way to help in his quick recovery. Being able to get on here and take my mind off what it has been filled with over the roller coaster of emotions since last Thursday has seriously helped me keep my sanity. Thanks everyone in advance and I'll update this as things progress and time allows.

Prayer's lifted and will continue to keep Chase, you and your wife and family in our prayers. Looking forward to that picture of y'all heading for the house.

Thanks fellas. Picked up momma and brought her over and she's much much happier now that she can be with her baby, still can't hold him with EEG still hooked up but that should come off later this evening. Progress is slow but steady and the turtle wins the race.

Hoping you the best Cowboy. Take care of the family and yourself as well. Those peppers will be waiting for you.

Well today was the day to bring Chase home. We received word after the docs did their morning rounds and got to us at 0930 giving the ok, but didn't clear the parking lot till 1730 because of all the paperwork. Perfect for hitting ridiculous Friday rush hour traffic back through the city and into Fairfax. But hey who the hell am I to be complaining???? My boy is HOME. Still hooked up to 2 separate monitors and o2, but home. We have several follow up appointments all scheduled through the next 6 weeks and with a bit of luck this will all be a distant memory all too soon. I won't dwell on the negatives over this ordeal or point fingers but I do truly believe majority of this could have been avoided had a few things been done different. I look to tomorrow and know my son will be that much stronger for all he has endured and making us each all better and stronger as a family for having been through it. Again thank you all for your kind words and prayers in helping us along through some very tough times.

Couple pics  of Chase during his stay in DC. Chilling get a tan and wearing his first pair of shades.
IMG_2547_zps56f28dfd.jpg

Couple days later of the UV light sporting Auntie Amanda's knitted hat.
IMG_2601_zpsda385df6.jpg

Good vibes, omens and spells sent your way. I am glad to hear things are improving.
Little Chase looks good in that hat. He is gonna be a Lady killer!

Hang in there man, this will all be over before you know it.

You have a little toughie there! :) So glad to hear things are progressing so well! You've got lots of folks pulling for you and your fam.....continued best wishes to all of you!

Did you hit that nasty traffic from the bay bridge closure?

Glad you're home & all is well - didnt know y'all were so close - my sauces are actualy sold/served in the Hummibgbird Cafe in Fairfax!

If you ever make it by my Thurs night market in San Rafael, mention who you are & ill hook you up with a congratulatory bottle of sauce on the house. Medical bills can't be cheap.
:cheers:

It is great having him home now. Saw our pediatrician this morning and she is going to work with us and the docs at Children's to try to get the monitors removed as quickly and as soon as its safe for him instead if waiting for our next appt at the end of august.

I will be sure to look you up Lucky Dog if I'm ever back out on the west coast. Will try to make it by the Hummingbird Cafe when the dust settles around here too.

edit: Just looked up the Hummingbird and thats in Fairfax, CA not VA where I'm at 2800 miles away. But realky appreciate the offer and invite.

Back