Row Covers / Low Tunnels

First frost came, went and took most of what was not in the high tunnel / green house.  Anything inside the high tunnel was fine.  Started me to thinking.  I can not possibly afford to build high tunnels for everything, but have seen some very affordable row covers.  Some seem to open like a slinky and then close for storage, easy up easy down.  I am wondering if any one has experience with these temporary row covers and high wind.  From what I can tell, they have plastic rods on the bottom which just sort of stick in the ground.

If you have a set up that has worked for you, do me a favor and post a link to a seller.  I want to see the expense vs. building a couple more high tunnels.

Me and Mother Nature have a love hate relationship.  I am in the hate phase at the moment.

I hate to say it but you should check out the canna sites for hoop house info. There is not a whole lot of pepper growers with hoop house experience IMO.

Hogleg, now doesn't that seem odd when you consider how long some peppers take to produce?  I would think pepper folk would want to plant as early as they could.  On the row cover question, I think I have my answer.  Everything commercial seem to have been created to sell for as little as possible.  They seem like absolute junk.

I used 1 1/4 pvc for the walk in / high tunnel.  Think I am going to buy some smaller pvc and see if I can not do the same thing only smaller.  Figure I can make the pvc n wood part permanent, but lift the covers off and put them away safely.  Thinking of aiming for about four feet tall, that way they can act like mini green houses in the fall too.

If it costs more than doing other walk ins, will just do other walk ins.

In low budge situations we used to just pound rebar stakes, and just slide the pvc on it, bend and slide it on the other stake. I think we used 3/4" pvc. But then we weren't worried about snow collapsing it.

Back