• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Royal Gold turning dark at the sunside?

Hello outthere...

First season of growing peppers and loving it... A few plants got mature fruits and cooking with the first homegrown peppers has begun... Great!

I have a little beautiful plant with very many fruits called Royal Gold... The plant is in a sunny window and have been there for a few months now... Now all the green fruits have turned dark on the side facing the sun... I thought they would turn from green to gold, so my question is - are the plant/fruits getting burned by the sun or is this quite normal?

Thanx for your time... :-)

Hello over there......

Totally normal brochacho, its an increased pigmentation resulting from higher light contact on the pods. Certainly not UV problems, your window would block those wavelengths any ways, more importantly, peppers are creatures of the sun, they don't have frail mammalian skin like us:) They will carry on and ripen to a normal color. Besides water magnification, I have yet to see one of my plants get truly wounded or injured by the big star. And where are my manners? Welcome to the forum!

Good Vibes,

Alex

[sub]Thanx alot Alex...[/sub]

[sub]I've been here reading alot before first post... Will the dark pigmentation disappear when they turnes into gold then?[/sub]

[sub]Once again, thanx...[/sub]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Will the dark pigmentation disappear when they turnes into gold then?[/background]

Just like Michael Jackson my friend, just like Jackson.....:)

Until this year mine never turned dark purple but my 2 yr. old plant has purple pods now.

By the way,they should turn a pink/peach color when ripe and be top shaped pods.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp111/smoemaster_2007/2012%20pics/IM004905.jpg?t=1335592282

They are lighter colored than they look in the picture...more pinkish colored...

Alex:
I got it then... Thanx... lol...

Smokemaster:
Awesome color... :-)

I've just thought they were going to be gold, but it might have been a picture of something else I have seen in my endless surfing around bout peppers to grow...

But now the tread is up - will peppers ripe first at the side facing sun?

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]But now the tread is up - will peppers ripe first at the side facing sun? [/background]

In my experience, no, the "suntan" is not linked to the ripening pattern. You may see some interesting colors during the ripening process, but the tanned peppers and ones that are not tanned will ripen the same way* and end up the same final color.

* Peppers I have grown ripen base to tip, others tip to base, and some ripen all over at once.

Well that is good information... So I don't have to turn my plants like we do on the beach to get tanned all around...

I have 5 different plants that have ripen fruits and no doubt the most interesting days are when they turn colors... They really looks cool when they are multicolored...

Mine also started out purple I love this plant it is super productive, second wave of pods setting at the moment and there are hundreds of them
dmflnm.jpg

wkmgcw.jpg

ripening to this(more an orangy peach gold)

Back