• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health rub it in the right spots! :o ;)

Hand pollinating My reaper
559676_10200220729615492_420099859_n.jpg

OK SO  I see this and it leads me to the question...excuse me, the newbie question, of how do I know if I did it right?.. :liar:

Hot Head said:
OK SO  I see this and it leads me to the question...excuse me, the newbie question, of how do I know if I did it right?.. :liar:
GENTLY rub with a clean soft brush. do it when they are fully open, it:s best in the early afternoon i believe.

Ive not had any luck using a brush, but cotton buds work for me

Terravexti said:
If you gota ask....you'll never know
did that sound more helpful in your head than it does to others? ;)
cmon man, everyone is new to this at some point. asking questions shows a passion and want to learn - sharing info is really the main point of this community, right?

yes early afternoon is best when the pollen is fresh. 

Hot Head said:

Terravexti said:
If you gota ask....you'll never know

georgej said:
did that sound more helpful in your head than it does to others? ;)
cmon man, everyone is new to this at some point. asking questions shows a passion and want to learn - sharing info is really the main point of this community, right?
I think his response was in the manner of the title of my post with a lil INNUENDO" How do I know if I rubbed it in the right spot?" if you gotta ask you'll never know

The pollen is applied directly to the  tip of the pistil. The white thing you see protruding from the middle of  the flower.

You will know you are successful if it develops into a fruit shortly after. (I think about 3 days it will start to develop)

from my experience, if you can put them somewhere with a decent breeze (natural or electric fan) then they usually sort themselves out without risking flowers dropping off by you hand pollinating.

Never hurts to try encourage them though. i think they will drop if they wanna regardless

georgej said:
from my experience, if you can put them somewhere with a decent breeze (natural or electric fan) then they usually sort themselves out without risking flowers dropping off by you hand pollinating.

Never hurts to try encourage them though. i think they will drop if they wanna regardless
+1

The trick is to go slowly and gently at first, until they ask for more. Then make them wait a little longer and juuuuust about the time they start getting pissed ....let 'em have it

Of course that only applies to new, fresh flowers .... the old faithfulls already know the drill so just do what ya gotta do to get the job done.

:)

Back