• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

???s about NFT

I'm considering this technique for a variety of reasons but one of the main ones is that this seems to be recommended for larger scale operations. But like lots of things in life, there are things I do not understand and Google doesn't provide answers!

I have seen where one can use 4" PVC for tomatoes but that seems extremely small, even for determinate plants. I've had root balls reach six inches wide in DWC systems. Question #1: will a 4" pipe work? and #2: Can I space them one foot apart?

Another area in which I am walking in the dark without a flashlight: How does one keep the roots wet until they get long enough? Say I start them in rockwool or starter plugs. In a DWC system, I can fill the bucket so the nutrient reaches the bottom of the net pot, keeping it wet. As the roots develop and grow, let the level fall. But I cannot wrap my head around how to do this with NFT, especially over a long run of tubing. #3: Is it as simple as hand-watering or using a drip system until the plants in the net pots grow roots long enough to reach the flow of nuits? I can't imagine needing to start them in a DWC or Ebb & Flow system, or aeroponics, and then moving them to the NFT.
Lastly, I once did some marketing for a consulting firm. I should have done it for free because I learned a very valuable lesson: you can find answers to questions when you need to know something if you know who to ask. It's what questions you don't know you need answers to that will bite you in the behind. I know about lighting, EC and pH levels, cultivars of plants, selling the produce, pest management, having a back-up plan in case the electricity goes out or the pump quits working, even how to build a system - but there are certainly some things I have not thought about asking. Let me know!

All help/suggestions are appreciated!

Mike

check out CCH2O They have a lot about undercurrents, but specialize in large scale production. If the answers arent on the site, send em a message, and they will definitely be able to help. Im a little new to the hydro setups so I dont want to tell you wrong.

NFT's are great, but they scare the hell out of me for commercial production unless you're using a very resistant strains of crops. Recirculating systems can be a powder keg because if one plant gets sick, they can all get sick in short order. Plus you will have to monitor each and every nutrient because plants will cherry pick what they need resulting in an nutrient and potentially a PH imbalance. You can definitely grow tomatoes on 1' centers if you stay on top of your pruning

I have 25 acres that I've been wanting to place some greenhouses on. I already own 5 24'x 96' houses that are stored and waiting for me to find time to get them up and running. I'm totally sold on a run to waste system using coir as a media. Coir retains enough water where you will not have to water too often, plus you have the added benefit of the plants being tougher during power outages. I plan on using 2 and 5 gallon buckets (because I get them free) for containers. You can also use grow bags. All things being equal hydroponic tomatoes should cost $1 per lb to produce

Treeman,

Thanks for the info. I've read where some growers change their solution weekly or bi-weekly while others do not change at all - just add as needed. I can see where changing periodically would be a good thing. I've heard of run-to-waste but since I only have city water (and it is crap!) I suspect it would be more expensive.

Disease tolerance: this is a huge factor and why I'm trying different varieties that are bred for a high tolerance to a variety of diseases. By the time winter gets here, I should have a real good idea of which types do best.

Where did you get the $1/lb. figure from? That is extremely high unless you are using a 600 watt HID system to grow four plants! At least on a large scale basis, tomatoes wholesale for between 47¢ and $1.14/lb. depending on the season.

Five 2,300 sf GH's! Neat! Looking at a lighting map, you could grow them from March through November without artificial lighting. You could grow a serious amount of produce in that space!

Mike

In my worthless opinion run to waste is the only way to go. I plan on using dirt floors in ma greenhouses so once the roots breach the bottom of the container, they continue growing into the ground. Every time the pumps run, you send a perfectly prescribed load to each plant. You can run it off city water just fine with injectors.

I'm not going to use any artificial lighting. As a matter of fact I shut down my indoor grow room because of high electricity bills. $1 per lb includes all labor, nutrients, and operating expenses. I don't have plans to sell run of the mill produce to grocery stores. I plan on heirloom veggies and I'll stick to neighborhood farmers markets and restaurants. Plus value added items with seconds or ripe stuff that didn't sell. Sauces, canned goods ............. That's where the decent money is

If average 10 lbs of Tomatoes and sell them $1 /lb it's just not worth it to me, I'd rather get kicked in the nuts. That's a ton of work and risk that can backfire in a split second. I've been building my market a little already selling bits and pieces out of my store.

Different strokes for different folks! I can see (possibly) how you get to the $1/lb. cost to grow the maters - your nuit cost. My costs to raise 30 plants in a GH is a lot, a whole lot less. The pots' cost, based on using them for five years is 20¢. The container mix is about 10 pennies per pot, the fertilizer maybe the same. So I have 40¢ per pot and I'll add another 10 cents for things I may have forgot. But that plant should produce about 20 pounds of fruit and my cost, not including labor is a half-buck. Sorry guy, but if you are spending a dollar to get a pound of tomatoes, you ain't doing something right!

Mike

My $1 per lb was pulled out of my ass after a lot of research. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's going to be pretty close. It will also a learning process. I figured every single cost of operation from planting seeds to delivery to my buyer. I'm planning on starting with 2 greenhouses which should conservatively grow 1000 plants. I'm already at a bit of an advantage because I got the greenhouses for free. I also plan on having a trailer on the property and providing housing in exchange for labor

Here's is a great reference done by the University of Georgia. They state that production cost in '07 was $45 per hundred weight http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubs/PDF/B1312.pdf

John,

Attached is a pdf file that has some very useful info about growing tomatoes in greenhouses, though as usual, it is not a bible to be followed religiously. For instance, they recommend growing Trust. I'm sure it is a great variety, but the seeds are horribly expensive (>50¢ each) and the germination rate sucks. I don't claim to be an expert at sprouting seeds but I usually average in the 90 percent or higher range. The best I got with Trust, both in rockwool and potting mix, was 33 percent. neseeds.com has some great varieties for a greenhouse, but look under the Standard category, not the Greenhouse Forcing.

I hope to finish up my test troughs this Wednesday/Thursday. I have four, 40" troughs and figure I might as well try misters (the same type used in EZClone systems) in two of them. The troughs are 10" tall, and 8" wide, and I plan to space the plants 12" apart - that will give them ~4 gallons of room to grow. Plus, this will be a hybrid system, maybe more aeroponics than NFT. The solution will be pumped from a reservoir through PVC pipes to the emitters (or holes drilled in the pipe) and then run out, back to the holding tanks.

The one thing I really need to find is styrofoam sheets for the tops. I know people sell them - they are used for insulation and lots of other applications but Google turned up nothing. :(

Mike

Not to disparage any company or the prices they charge for their products... but I hope you aren't going to pay $o.75 per unit for the "EZ-Clone" sprayers. You can get the exact same sprayer from Sprinkler Warehouse for $o.28 per unit, and on sale for less frequently. My brother and I bought some of the "EZ-Clone" brand replacement sprayers from the hydro store and then a bag of 100 of the ones from Sprinkler Warehouse, they are the same but cost less.
http://www.sprinkler...et-p/07-082.htm

Personaly I think these would work as well and are less expensive still. The Blue have a output: 7-11 GPH spray rating
http://www.irrigatio...rayers/dd-msf40

the red ones output: 21-31 GPH.
http://www.irrigatio...rayers/dd-msf60

Back