• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

S.I.P./Quarantine Cooking

Well, we are all in a mess, so lets have some fun and learn a few things along the way!  First and foremost might be that...you can make a burrito at home!!!  That's a bit facetious talking to this crowd here on THP, who have some of the maddest cooking skills on the interwhebz. 

SO, lets post what we are cooking at home, what is made from the pantry, what was out of but substituted, all basic cooking skills.....

I'll get it started!

A couple days ago, talking with my son who is now 21 and living on his own for the last 2 years, he said..."I gotta go, Mom, the roasted chicken is done.  We're gonna eat dinner now."  :sniff:  AWW!!!!  I'm a happy mom.....

Here's what we did for family entertainment last weekend.  We rented Milo and Otis...for the DOG to watch!!!
IMG_20200314_125806834.jpg

IMG_20200314_125628239.jpg

what's in the meat drawer- pork chops
Pantry- wild rice (doctored up majorly!)
Breading with pantry crackers
tomatoes (cuz that was the best FRESH veg I could come up with.)
IMG_20200322_173317723.jpg

I didn't have Panko, so I blitzed some Mary's pepper crackers in the food processor with some flour,  added some spices and pepper powders, dredged the chops in seasoned egg/milk wash and then cracker crumbs.  Pan Fry in cast iron skillet with a bit of oil until golden brown and done.

IMG_20200322_185622385.jpg

IMG_20200322_190919767.jpg

Rice- Saute rice mix in some butter (ala Rice-A-Roni) until toasty nutty done.  Add water and chicken base/boullion, cook until done.  Key notes!  Use broth as the cooking liquid and saute the rice mix before with butter!  There are lots of quinoa, rice mixes....just don't cook with plain water.  Saute in olive oil/butter or not,  or not, but definitely use seasoning in the water. 
IMG_20200322_173455148.jpg

Looks kind of blah, but was really yummy!
IMG_20200322_191452147.jpg

next up... Pork, shrimp, LO wild rice-vs-white rice, beans........and andoulle...

share what you got cooking.  Might make this into a competition of who had the best cooking Hack, or best out of nothing dish, to be awarded when all of this shite is over.

and my husband has developed a strange affinity for watching musicals.

Paint Your Wagon
Oklahoma
Dirty Dancing (OK...that one's mine... :lol:)

I'm queuing up
Pirates of Penzance,
Showboat
South Pacific...

and Floyd's final episodes.....

Elpicante, I liked your post, but not that I'm happy to hear about the 'rona hitting you.  Dang!   Also wishing you a speedy recovery. 

I wonder, if a person looses their sense of taste, would just upping the sauce from jalapeno to scorpion be taste-able?

Our employee...and 5 of 6 of the adults/kids in his immediate family got it.  He's been out since thanksgiving, and they won't retest all of the family until Dec 30th.  If they all clear, he can come back to work in January.  They all seem to be weathering the sickness as a bad flu. I wonder how this will affect them all down the road. 

Take care y'all, and post up some good holiday grub!

OH!  Just remembered I have some STIMULUS to post!

We FINALLY got our Stimulus check from Uncle Donny a few weeks ago.  I decided to spend a portion of my money to stimulate the hot sauce economy through my friends Dylan and Becky at HEAT Hot Sauce Shop.

We haven't had some of these for YEARS!  I mean, like, 10+ years for the HBD Classic Gold.  A couple new ones that had good reviews, and a couple just because. 

Now the only problem is....I promised that I wouldn't open and bring any new sauces into the reefer unless one sauce went out....

One Out=One In.....GRRRRR!!!!

OH WAIT!  I got it!!! ;) 

Since most of these sauces have been purchased and consumed at some time in the last 10 years....technically I've already got the 'one out' taken care of!  :dance:  :lol:

IMG_20201217_150402108.jpg

IMG_20201217_150439554.jpg

already cracked the HBD, Yellowbird, and Palo Alto.

The Hot Pepper said:
Nice haul! You don't need to refrigerate. :seeya:
Oh, you Had To Go There!

(shesh, I'm out of practice.  Took me 20 minutes to get that Corrector image posted!  :rolleyes:  :lol:  )

The Hot Pepper said:
Try that Humboldt on fish or fish tacos.
OKaaaaaayyy...

We have a package of frozen arctic cod in the freezer. 

I've been thinking of what to do for a holiday dinner,...

prime rib...done that...a LOT...meh...

and it's just John and I........so.....

Maybe an epic Fish and Chips!   with the Humboldt sauce...?!?!???

This might be it!
Thanks Pookie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRfy1yorkec&list=RDMTJdiwYnKE4

You will find it pairs well with white flaky fishy yes! It's a little "limey" for other meats but bangin on fish and seafood!

Quite a random inspiration while on a big shop today.  Tried to get enough to get us through the whole week, past Christmas, yea...I was kind of embarrassed to buy that amount of alc'haul, 

Anyway, Creamy Mushroom Soup!  

John really likes mushrooms and mushroom soup, so, after a 6" dump of snow today, (it's a stay-at-home Snow Day) it felt like a soup day.

IMG_20201221_123144048.jpg

sliced the caps and fine diced onions and celery
IMG_20201221_124458142.jpg

blitzed the stems in the FP

had a little mishap along the way.  John does a great job of keeping the knives sharp.  With the crap going on with my right hand, it doesn't hold on to knives very well.  Something happened, the knife was 6" up off the board, came down on my finger and nicked it right at the top of the cuticle.....(no gory pictures)...
IMG_20201221_132533310 - Copy.jpg

No blood was let into the dish...

butter sauteed mushrooms, onions and celery
Fine diced yellow potatoes in just a little bit of water.  Just enough to cook and to also keep the starch so I don't have to make a Roooo... ;) ... beef soup base, thyme and black pepper (sorry, geeme)
IMG_20201221_135016864.jpg

edit- and Half-n-Half cream

IMG_20201221_135134641.jpg

I didn't even have time to make a pretty presentation picture, we just dug into it!  Forget the salad and roll...it's just SOUP!
IMG_20201221_150453426.jpg

Edit2-- the verjus is an acidic, like vinegar.  I added just a tiny splash when dishing up to give it a tiny bit of something to offset the cream. 
If this was  TD, I'd of had the fresh chopped parsley, baked rolls, a side salad with purple onions, tomatoes, fresh vinaigrette dressing......

This is the covid cooking version of showing up to the staff meeting on Zoom in jammies....

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
SL,Is that a DLC-5?

A what?

Cuisinart food processor vintage 1989. Still works great, had to buy a new blade about 8 years ago

JA Hinkels international knife. Spain.

Or something else???

OH!!!! I found it!!!
Yes it is a cuisinart dlc-5

salsalady said:
A what?

Cuisinart food processor vintage 1989. Still works great, had to buy a new blade about 8 years ago

Yes it is a cuisinart dlc-5

Sorry SL! I'm a Cuisinart food processor aficionado. My wife got my first as a b-day present about the year of yours, a DLC-8 (An 11 cup work bowl). Then I got into buying/selling them on E--Bay and kept a LITTLE PRO PLUS™ (3 CUP) Your DLC-5 is a 7 CUP.

The reason I asked was I was surprised at the small size with all the food prep you do. I love my DLC-8 for 90% of family prep & the mini great for a quickie buzz of a small onion or a couple of heads of garlic.

Happy Holidays!
Quick story. Wife asked what I wanted for my birthday back then & when I told her that DLC-8 she said if I ever bought her a kitchen appliance I'd be served with divorce papers. A few years, or more, later she got into fruit smoothies and after 3 months that summer of dragging out that blender & cleaning it almost every day I bought her an immersion blender.

Yea - we're still married and she uses both those food processors.

Elpicante said:
Well it was only a matter of time! Cought the RONA! Last week. As part of the second wave this one is much more like the of a flu! Been down for about 5 days but it did not stop me from making this.

Feeling better :Kcho? I got it back in Nov. - Had very mild symptoms thhankfully.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Sorry SL! I'm a Cuisinart food processor aficionado. My wife got my first as a b-day present about the year of yours, a DLC-8 (An 11 cup work bowl). Then I got into buying/selling them on E--Bay and kept a LITTLE PRO PLUS™ (3 CUP) Your DLC-5 is a 7 CUP.

The reason I asked was I was surprised at the small size with all the food prep you do. I love my DLC-8 for 90% of family prep & the mini great for a quickie buzz of a small onion or a couple of heads of garlic.

Happy Holidays!
Quick story. Wife asked what I wanted for my birthday back then & when I told her that DLC-8 she said if I ever bought her a kitchen appliance I'd be served with divorce papers. A few years, or more, later she got into fruit smoothies and after 3 months that summer of dragging out that blender & cleaning it almost every day I bought her an immersion blender.

Yea - we're still married and she uses both those food processors.

That's kind of a cool hobby. 

A several years ago, my Mother's day gift was a Milwaukee cordless right-angle drill. (about $500, which did get written off on taxes...)
Christmas gift many years ago was an insulated battery heated jacket.
Then the first drill crapped out, so I ordered another one....for Mother's Day...

I'm pretty sure there were a couple other similar gifts, I can't remember off the top of my head....
I can't pull out the 'D' card when receiving tools for gifts, but I should pull out the 'R' card.....RETIREMENT!!!!   'if you give me one more tool for mother's day I'm QUITTING!' 

I bought that FP in 1989 (from Costco...I THINK) for the cafe I was opening.  It did just fine for what we needed.  The most product I remember doing was shredding cooked potatoes for hash browns.  We purchased a 3' tall Hobart stand mixer with a shredder attachment. 

Nowadays, the little cuisinart is for the house.  The latch that pushes down the safety switch is broken so I have to hold the top down to make it engage.  It's not a big deal until I try to-

hold the top down
press the PULSE switch
and pour in cold water for pie pastry....
All at the same time.  Quite comical to watch.  :lol:

For the kitch', we use this to blast through about 180 pounds of produce per batch of salsa---
IMG_20201224_095633751.jpg

The original continuous feed chopper was a 40 year old Ditto Dean.  It was 40 years old when I bought it around 2001.  The push-button ON button wore out.  I had to hold it in with a toothpick.  When we built my kitchen, I installed a switched outlet for the chopper.  Eventually, I think the dicer blade wore out and I couldn't find a new one.  The machine still work, but I got the Robot Coupe as a replacement.  I also use that for processing peppers/cauli/carrot/onion for some cold packed pickled peppers that I make each fall.  And slicing peppers for dehydrating.

I actually like the design of the Ditto Dean better.  It had a wider single chute (not the one with the lever plate), that I could toss tomatoes, green pepper halves, and halved onions in hand over fist.  The RC has a small single chute about big enough for one roma tomato.  For all the veggies you have to lift the handle and open the wide chute, stuff it full, lever over the push plate (which automatically starts the blades), push the veg through, lift the plate open (which stops the blades), fill the hopper, close, push, lift, fill, close, push......

Also a BlendTec blender for hot sauce ingredients.

Well, It's Christmas Eve,   Time for a wine, and a bit of 'Bloons while enjoying the afternoon sunshine.

Y'all take care, post up some grub.....

And in the words of the immortal TB.....

Love the one you're with!

What? TB didn't say that????  Fake News!!!!

Happy Holiday's Everyone!!!

Thanks for sharing Ashen.  those Bene's look yummy.

Christmas Eve is traditionally snacks.  Shrimp cocktail, cheese, crackers, other finger foods.  Since it's just John and I, it was bbq pork and cheeses and crackers.
IMG_20201224_152752254.jpg

Sliced up and we put half of this in the cooler for another day.  Hot mustard in packets?  Not nearly enough.  I always keep dry mustard on hand to mix up as needed.  Not wanting to waste the packets, I added those to the mustard.
IMG_20201224_153308416.jpg

IMG_20201224_153946027.jpg

and a shit-ton more of sesame seeds
IMG_20201224_154317390.jpg

IMG_20201224_161212272.jpg

Christmas Morning!
Demitri's, tomato juice, vodka and a couple dashes of Palo Alto.   Mmmmmm....breakfast!
IMG_20201225_081011783.jpg

The glass is sentimental to me.  That Irish lass I told you about that made the tamales?  She and I would make etched glasses with several different 'the Methow' images.  We'd pick out the stencils, apply them to glassware, sand blast them and sell them at a local artisan shop.  I only have a few left.  She passed from cancer around 2005.
IMG_20201225_085002757.jpg

IMG_20201225_085009002.jpg

IMG_20201225_084727822.jpg

Back