• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Safe minimum outdoor temps?

So, my seedlings are doing "meh" (compared to tomatoes started at the same time) and I think they just need to get outside. So far they've just graduated to solo cups and I think are already hardened off. The room where I sprouted them got 4-5PM sun and they've been set out under a pergola for around a week. Thing is, I have around 30 of them and its becoming a pain to schlep them in and out every night.

Night time temps have been in the low 50s fairly consistently with zero frost threat going forward...and day time temps have been in the mid 80s. Is it too cold to leave them outside just yet? 

I would wait until there's little or no chance that it will dip below 50. It's always so tempting to plant them sooner. You're lucky to get such warm temps so early in the season.

50 is perfectly safe to leave them outside. I don't bring anything in unless the forecast calls for a freeze. My 3 year old moruga has new growth like crazy, my bell pepper looks great (for a baby that stays outside at around the clock. I already planted tomatoes and herbs.... 50 is not going to harm them at all. Sure, they thrive better in warmer climes, but those days are coming soon.

Back