food Salami

Made some duck-pork salami.Along with your normal sausage spices it has a tbls of my jalapeno powder to add some kick.I used a couple tabs of ilacto as a starter to get a ferment started.It will hang for 48 hours in a room that is 65-70 degrees before it goes to the cellar for 8 weeks.Also split my 7 inch seal o meal bags so i could stuff in them and control the outside elements from messing with the aging process,Each bag was numbered and weighed.When the sausage loses 30% of its weight it is done.;
DSCF9066.jpg

DSCF9079.jpg

DSCF9084.jpg

this was my grow room in 2015
P4250003.JPG

my daughter moved back home and annexed it for clothes.Wonder if she will notice the New Wind Chimes hung in front of the door for 48 hours,lol
DSCF9092.jpg

So you are using plastic bags instead of casings? I've never made any kind of aged sausage, but how is it going to lose any weight (or moisture) if it's sealed in plastic bags? Do you poke holes in the bags for moisture to escape?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but what am I missing?

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I know if that were my house, my wife wouldn't want my salami all out in the open like that. She would want me to hide it.

Bahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha!

muskymojo said:
So you are using plastic bags instead of casings? I've never made any kind of aged sausage, but how is it going to lose any weight (or moisture) if it's sealed in plastic bags? Do you poke holes in the bags for moisture to escape?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but what am I missing? 
  I hope the cure and salts will have things well under control when air releases',I did poke pin holes in the bags as they were not going to do what I had planned.No worries i am in the very early stages so my move may have saved it,If not i dump it all and try again. ;)

Back