Salt Alternatives

Hi all.

I am looking at ways to reduce sodium levels in my future products. Any tips, tricks? I have heard potassium can be used as an alternative, anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Not really a replacement but you can satisfy other areas of the palette instead, or try to mix them so the decrease in salty is not as noticeable or missed.
Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter, Umami.

cajunheat said:
sea salt? it's suppose to be healthier and doesn't require as much as table salt for flavoring.

I actually discovered this the other night - I was out of kosher salt (basically that is my table salt) and only had some Fleur de Sel, I found it was really potent so I could use less quantities and get the same effect. I also read that FdS has lower sodium content than most salts as it contains high amounts of chloride and other minerals such as copper that are not in other salts.

Thanks for the confirmation. Luckily I won't need too much, last I checked here it was $120 CAD per KG!

--Jay

I found this site for fleur de sel-
http://www.saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=29

it's kind of confusing on the top listings but if you scroll down, there is a 2.2# for $35

cajunheat, $.83 a pound???for fleur de sel???

just want to be sure what's what, amigo, and if that's the accurate price for fleur de sel..........ummmm....psssst.....wanna share the source..........?!?!?

Fleur de sel is the most expensive sea salt from France, and that's retail.

.83/lb. is not unusual for sea salt.

I paid about $3 for 1 lb 10.4 oz (750g) for Roland Sea Salt.

Google Roland Sea Salt, it's from Italy.

Fleur de Sel looked like a "boutique" salt, but at $35/2.2#, that's a whole lot better $$$ than the other price quoted.

I've used "Real Salt" brand-
http://www.realsalt.com/

has all the minerals, mined in Utah, like the sea salts with all the trace minerals.

Just wondering-
I noticed while looking for the fleur de sel stuff that there are "ORGANIC" sea salts.

Hmmm...if one assumes that sea salt is a product of evaporated sea water..... and if one assumes that an "organic" product (as is more recently recognized as a grower/producer who utilizes organic growing methods that do not use growth hormones/pesticides/etc, and also that the producer is in control of the environment surrounding the crop to be harvested.....)....

how can any sea salt producer be in control of their environment to the point that they can say there are no chemicals, fertilizers, pathogens or nasties in their sea water that they just pumped out of the bay and into their drying ponds?

"All Natural"...OK......"no artificial ingredients".......sure..............

but ORGANIC? unless they are just using organic to mean "derived from nature with no artificial ingredients added"

This same question applies to local honey that I see around. Local beekeepers are marketing their honey as "organic" but from what I understand of our state's codes, there's no way the beekeepers can guarantee the bees only visit "certified organic" plants during their nectar quests.

"ORGANIC" is a great label to be able to use, but for those growers who follow organic gardening and animal raising practices, what do you think about "ORGANIC" sea salt and "ORGANIC" honey?

afterthought-
ORGANIC honey may be a hijacking, but I still would like to hear what folks think about ORGANIC sea salt.

Apparently I am not getting a good price on it, that is what you get when you go to the Salt bar at the local grocery store. I have seen reports though that it is closer to $2 per ounce typically for true Fleur de sel. Even at that price it is $70 per KG.

Thanks to everybodies responses, love the conversation

--Jay

Regarding the Organic nature of Fleur de sel. It is actually 'grown' in France in large flooded pads of sea water, when the crystals start 'growing' they are harvested. I guess this is how it gets the organic tag.

Just a thought.
-Jay

Yes, Nova, in the sense that is comes from nature and occurs organically. No, by USDA or other standards since you must have bees in a controlled environment. Bees move freely so you wouldn't be sure where they are getting pollen and nectar, unlike a cow, where you can control what it eats.

That's my guess lol. I have heard no honey is organic. Maybe in a controlled environment it is.

Here's a quote from the link Skydiver posted regarding organic honey-

"Organic honey must be produced by naturally foraging colonies that are located at least 2 miles distant, in straight-line flight, from any pollution source which could cause the honey to become contaminated by, or as a result of, returning foraging bees (e.g. synthetic-chemical sprayed agriculture, industrial centers, urban centers, etc.).

A detailed map of all forage areas is required from all applicants."

So if there is no-one within a 2 mile radius of the hives, they can be certified organic.

I'm just kind of griping because we have a neighbor whose hives are maybe 1/4 mile away and there are probably 50 houses or more within a 2 mile radius and I know some use pesticides etc. The beekeepers market their honey as "organic".

Oh well....

Interesting tidbit from jakealbert also about the way fleur de sel is grown. I still question how any salt derived from the sea can be classified as "pollution free/contaminant free/controlled environment criteria" organic.

Interesting post anyway, especially about regular salt alternatives.

salsalady said:
I still question how any salt derived from the sea can be classified as "pollution free/contaminant free/controlled environment criteria" organic.
Nobody pees in the seas there.

thehotpepper.com said:
Nobody pees in the seas there.

LOL! only the whales!

Back