• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Saltys roof

Ok this is a quick update for all my friends/family.
I will be posting a proper Thank You soon just want it to be right. So there are lots of contributors and bidders and buyers and some friends who sent us money and BIRTHDAY cards.
The business members who contributed, wow the items were amazing. The same goes for my non business friends as well. But I want to save that for something special I'm writing.

Now onto the roof, a local contractor the son of a Marine I served with has volunteered to handle all repairs for no charge. He and the son of my best friend are here starting the work. Strong t storm are moving in so they are just replacing the bad section in the back bedroom and putting in temporary shingles to end any further damage to walls and ceilings.
Sadly found some black mold but it will be dealt with correctly.
They will return Wednesday as the metal roof material will be here. Then a six man crew will strip the remaining shingles and replace any more damaged sheathing. Then tarpaper the roof before applying metal.
Here's Steve and Aaron ripping and replacing.
IMG_20160716_114846.jpg
IMG_20160716_121945_hdr.jpg

This was just a small section that has been pouring water into the house sadly it like this on both sides along entire length. Some sections scary to stand on but there pro's.
Oh and just so everyone knows neighbor took pics for me. IM NOT ALLOWED NEAR ANY LADDERS POWER TOOLS OR MATERIAL. PER ORDER HEATHER AND ALL MEMBERS OF THP!! :) hahaha but seriously they won't let me within fifty feet of the job.

Ok well rain is killing us but that parts done. Will post more pics and keep everyone posted. Thanks for checking in. :)
Love y'all :)
:)

if you "happen" to mention the business name of the contractor and where they may be located, they might "happen" to get a random box of goodies....

;) 

Great to see things moving along for ya mate, hopefully that roof is off long enough for all the bad luck to escape.  :P

Tell Aaron and Steve the first beer is on me if ever they visit OZ, looks like they're doing a great job too!

Thanks for the update, please keep us informed of the progress of the repairs, it'll be great for everyone to see what we helped to achieve. 

SR

what sort of steel roof are you doing? the exposed fasteners or the standing seem?

my moms roof has maby 5ish years left...low slope so it takes a beating when ever it hails.

i havent seen a single house around here though... with a steel roof. im not 100% sure why, HOA maby, but not sure.

salsalady said:
if you "happen" to mention the business name of the contractor and where they may be located, they might "happen" to get a random box of goodies....

;)
Ann have I told you your the best lately!! :)
queequeg152 said:
what sort of steel roof are you doing? the exposed fasteners or the standing seem?my moms roof has maby 5ish years left...low slope so it takes a beating when ever it hails.i havent seen a single house around here though... with a steel roof. im not 100% sure why, HOA maby, but not sure.
Standing seem brother. Yeah that's why my friend's can't have a metal roof there HOA is like living under a dictator. I love steel roofs nothing sounds better in the rain. :)
The Hot Pepper said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOuNSbyjDxY
And that's just me heading to pick up beer for the crew. Hahaha
Scoville DeVille said:
HAEL YEAH!

Nice to see your woes ebbing away!

attachicon.gif
Unknown.jpeg
Hahaha

oldsalty said:
Standing seem brother. Yeah that's why my friend's can't have a metal roof there HOA is like living under a dictator. I love steel roofs nothing sounds better in the rain. :)
that sucks. probably the same deal for her then.

considering how badly asphalt shingles fare here where they can reach like 130f temps... i think its illogical to not allow steel roofing. maby they do though idk.

wow, those guys look like they are working hard and really know their stuff.  I sure would like to know their name in case I ever move to Murrells Inlet and need a new roof!  ;)  ;)  ;)

Alright!!!!!! Just had metal delivered for the new roof came to 1149 $. So Thanks to everyone's extreme kindness the metal cost Heather and I nothing. The Vets and Carpenters that are helping with the install are all pitching in to help with the plywood for sheathing so only a few hundred dollars came out of our pockets. 
Thank You To All  our Chili head Family we can not truly express the love we have for you all. This would not have been possible without your help.Your such a major part of our live's and we are blessed to have all of you as part of our extended Family!!!!  :P  I will be posting in Pepper People just have been waiting to get all material. I again would like to thank Everyone who helped. This is truly AMAZING and Heather and I do LOVE YOU ALL.
     So stay tuned for more updates as the work proceeds. Here are a few pics of the Metal Roofing Y'all bought for us  :party:  :onfire:
IMG_20160808_103953.jpg

IMG_20160808_104003.jpg

im curious,how did the sheathing repairs go?

ima have to do something similar in the back yard. a few places teh roof sheathing got leaked on and will need to be replaced prior to a new flat EDPM roof being put down.

queequeg152 said:
im curious,how did the sheathing repairs go?

ima have to do something similar in the back yard. a few places teh roof sheathing got leaked on and will need to be replaced prior to a new flat EDPM roof being put down.
Was pretty simple just ripped back shingle for this section. Removed sheathing in pieces. Framing was in bad shape in a few spots had to be replaced as well. Plus damage to ceiling and interior wall. queequeg i will have very detailed pics soon we will be stripping entire roof all shingle and sheath the whole roof. Then tar paper and flash. Then the metal roofing will be applied. Have a friend taking all pics as these guy's will let me no where near a ladder. Bastards!! Let me know if you have any questions brother. My carpenter friend lives down the street any questions i can't help you with i can get from Steve. Great guy. If i lived closer be glad to lend a hand my friend.
salsalady said:
wow, those guys look like they are working hard and really know their stuff.  I sure would like to know their name in case I ever move to Murrells Inlet and need a new roof!  ;)  ;)  ;)
Hahaha You move to the Inlet SL and need a roof you'll have no Worries my Friend. You just supply the sauces will supply the labor  :P

Back