misc Sam & Oliver Cinder Habanero Hot Sauce - product finalized and production complete!

I just want to take the time to follow up with everyone here who took the time and expertise to help guide me through this process.  I got some of the toughest to swallow, but best advice from these forums and none have steered me wrong.  The final label was printed by a great guy, Joe Felix from Met Speed Label.  Awesome product, awesome customer service, fast turnaround and overall standup guy.  I used a great graphic designer who helped me take all my ideas, advice and thoughts and turn them into one pretty cool looking label.  Endorphin helped me with all the red tape that literally had me on the verge of quitting more than once.  All the CT rules and FDA requirements, fees and changing policies had me about to walk away at several steps, including one where they changed the rules during the final stages of my registration, keeping my money and making me start from scratch again.  Thanks to Michael of Rippleman's for pointing me towards the light.

The thought, wisdom, expertise and patience with each of you is intangible.  Everyone from the last few threads, please know I am absolutely grateful for all of it.  TheHotPepper is an invaluable tool for resource, knowledge base and wise guys  ;) (and gals)

Without the product in hand, here's what I was sent from Endorphin Farms during production:

gallery_7830_154_1181414.jpg
gallery_7830_154_435876.jpg

Room for improvement?  I'm sure.  Hard work ahead?  Bring it on... But it's off to a great start so far and I can't wait for the next curtain to go up in this amazing stage of my life.

Congrats man!  Feels good doesn't it?  After a few months of making my sauce I am doing my first run at the copacker on Wednesday.  Where can I find your stuff for sale?

I'll have an official announcement when the site goes public, but my actual go-live is September 1st, on http://samandoliver.com

Right now there's a landing page but that's it.  I have lots of things to sort out still... including logistics which scares me because I don't want to end up upside down with internet sales.  I'll be doing a lot of car shows and local markets for now, restaurants and such... hopefully.

edit: whoops almost forgot... yes, I've been grinning like fool for the greater part of the day, bouncing off the walls.  Everyone wants to know what's up with me today.

CONGRATS!    It's been a long time coming.  Only thing missing is your stretch marks!
:rofl:

I'm literally petrified of sending out samples to review.  I'm all for it, and I want the reviews to be candid and honest, but what if someone hates it?  Starting out it could mean a big hole to dig myself out of.

You can't worry about that shit bro! A review is ONE PERSON'S opinion, and people reading that KNOW THAT. Rave reviews are awesome. If a good reviewer doesn't like it s/he will usually be respectful and either be constructive, or, let you know exactly why they didn't like it, which others may like. (Example: It may be garlic heavy, and some will like or dislike.)

If you fret over that you will never get anywhere. You have to send it out and take the good and bad. Publish the good. LOL

Tru Dat, Boss.  Some people HATE apple cider vinegar....guess they won't like 4 of my sauces... Oh WELL! 

NEXT!

To me, sales (and repeat sales) of my sauces to customers are a more important indicator of how good a sauce is than what a reviewer may or may not say.

Ive had plenty of people give bad reviews to the products I make professionally over the years, many many more give great reviews. You will find you laugh more (inside) at all the bad ones.

Nice job and congrats!

Also if you keep hearing the same negative thing in reviews, and from people, then that's free R&D and you can always make an adjustment. Just get it out there. NO FEAR! :)

Label looks really good. Seeing the end result compared to the early versions it's night and day. This is an appealing label that is pick up and look at. Simple yet elegant, pleasant color palate - really sharp. And I'm psyched to see the pugs back.

Mostly I'm glad that you love it because for a little while there I thought you were gonna lose it.
:rofl:

Congrats on getting it done and good luck with your next steps. :cheers:

I've had the same concerns.  I think I'll just be a little picky at first and only send to reviewers who have demonstrated they have a decent pallet.  If  the reviewer doesn't know what a basic ingredient is or can't pronounce the ingredients, I may pass. I have seen several reviews where they did not know the first thing about a common ingredient that any reviewer should be familiar with (at least I think)

Very rarely, if ever, do reviews move the needle on sales.

They are of tremendous value for SEO and they can help to establish credibility when you have no reputation.

That said, stick with reputable reviewers. And if you're afraid of getting a bad review, stop selling hot sauce for a living.
;)

As THP said, a review is one guy's opinion. I use a bad review as motivation - my Green Label got a 3/5 from a well respected reviewer and 4 months later won a golden chile in Texas.

At the end of the day reviews and awards should be for one thing and one thing only: marketing. And as Dan said - promote the positive reviews, ignore the bad ones.

If they're all bad, consider changing your recipe. ;)

Agreed.

Good reviews are an ego stroke, but don't do much otherwise except get you 'out there' a bit more.

I had sent out my sauces to about 10 of the more known reviewers, and it pretty much turned up the same result, as when I use to work my record label...

One example.

Reviewers You tube channel had 1000 subscribers.
1. you can expect maybe 10% to actually watch the video. (100)
2. you can expect maybe 10% of that 100 to actually seek your website out for more info. (10)
3. from that, if you are lucky, maybe 10% will actually buy something from ya. (1).

After a review would be posted, I monitored the views on the youtube site, as well as the hits my site got, along with sales, for about 2-3 weeks, and thats what it came down to for me...

All the positive reviews look nice and pretty on my site, but the best thing you can do for your business is get out there.... markets, festivals, fairs, events, tastings, etc......

Back