• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

San Marzano tomatoes?

I want to grow some of these to make some sauces. Are these widely considered to be the best for sauce making? Also should I try to find plants or start from seeds? I'm thinking it's too late in the year to start from seeds now.

San Marzanos are special because of where they are grown in Italy in volcanic soil. So when buying canned tomatoes, yes it matters. When growing in other areas, it really does not. Instead look at what plum variety grows well in your area.

San Marzanos are special because of where they are grown in Italy in volcanic soil. So when buying canned tomatoes, yes it matters. When growing in other areas, it really does not. Instead look at what plum variety grows well in your area.

Oh great info to know. I never thought or knew about any of that. Just another reason why this site is so helpful!

One more quick question. Are there any online resources that tells what grows well in what region? Or would I have to go talk to a local nursery for that?

I found some info for you:

If you want to grow a paste tomato for sauces or canning, the best varieties for Kentucky include Plumb Dandy, Roma VP and Plum Crimson, which mature in 76 to 80 days.

San manzanos are great tomatoes but best grown in Italy like THP said and there are many versions of the san manzano too some more productive than others.
For me personally the only plum/paste tom that I grow these days in th Opalka which is by far my favorite tomato and is a fairly good producer. I also like that these can also handle some colder climate since they're originally from Poland

Lots of hype surrounding the San Marzanos. Not that great of a tomato, IMHO, even those grown in Italy.
You'll get the best sauce from the best tasting tomatoes,said tomato will often not be a paste type.
If you prefer a paste type, try Opalka, Martino's Roma or Heidi.

~DiggingDog

I'd have to agree with the other poster who said to pass on the San Marzanos. I grew them this year and they were nothing special. not even as juicy as a roma you might buy at the local produce market.
they seemed to all be kind of dry on the inside and the flavor, well I'll let you know when I find it. it made the Sungolds I was growing right next to them taste like absolute tomato heaven in a mouthful.
not sure why these Marzanos are so hyped. I actually found a lot of these so-called "tastier" heirloom tomatoes that I grew this year to be nothing special.
taste it before you grew it, tomatoes are much fussier than peppers (I find) so you'll be putting some effort into growing these.
thumbs down on the San Marzanos.

I want to grow some of these to make some sauces. Are these widely considered to be the best for sauce making? Also should I try to find plants or start from seeds? I'm thinking it's too late in the year to start from seeds now.

only way to simulate volcanic soil is to get volcanic soil or to find rock dust and emulate the mineral rich soil of said environment.

I'd have to agree with the other poster who said to pass on the San Marzanos. I grew them this year and they were nothing special. not even as juicy as a roma you might buy at the local produce market.
they seemed to all be kind of dry on the inside and the flavor, well I'll let you know when I find it. it made the Sungolds I was growing right next to them taste like absolute tomato heaven in a mouthful.
not sure why these Marzanos are so hyped. I actually found a lot of these so-called "tastier" heirloom tomatoes that I grew this year to be nothing special.
taste it before you grew it, tomatoes are much fussier than peppers (I find) so you'll be putting some effort into growing these.
thumbs down on the San Marzanos.

sounds like the local plum shaped commercial tomatoes available here.

sounds like the local plum shaped commercial tomatoes available here.

afaik, san marzanos are more elongated and look more like polish linguisas but is less pointy and has a rounded blossom end.

Next year I really want to try the Amish gold which is a cross between a sungold and an amish paste. Anybody try it yet?

"Fruit has the gold color and flavor of the Sungold, the meatiness of the Amish Paste and delicious sweet/tart tomato flavors that will have you want this as a favorite tomato in your garden."
http://store.tomatofest.com/Amish_Gold_Tomato_Seeds_p/tf-0014.htm

"Fruit has the gold color and flavor of the Sungold, the meatiness of the Amish Paste and delicious sweet/tart tomato flavors that will have you want this as a favorite tomato in your garden."

sounds really nice.

Quick question about the canned San Marzanos, are they really THAT much better than the rest? Reason I ask is, they are generally 5X the price here.

Quick question about the canned San Marzanos, are they really THAT much better than the rest? Reason I ask is, they are generally 5X the price here.

if you meant the canned san marzanos from italy then, afaik yes. =D

if you meant the canned san marzanos from italy then, afaik yes. =D

Guess I am going to have to buy some then. I love a good pasta sauce. Maybe I will do that this weekend. I have been wanting some good pasta lately and I have some frozen Italian sausage that I should use. Hmmm now that I think about it, I have wine too. Maybe I will do that tomorrow. Look for it in the Drunken Chef coming soon...:lol:

The regular canned tomatoes from italy we get here is a quite a leap from the local stuff we get. And to think we import our tomatoes as ketchup and tomato sauce, paste and canned toms to countries like yours. =)

Del monte and dole products grown here. "export quality" ones at least.

Back