• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Sandpaper and coconuts?

I know what you're thinking, whats sandpaper got to do with coconuts??

I found a company called Australian Coconuts that sourced 5 different coconuts for me and sent via post down to Melbourne.

I've been trying to sprout the coconuts for a while, and they've been in a plastic bag for at least 6 weeks now with no movement whatsoever. 2 went bad with mold due to a hole in the coconut where the milk started coming from, the other 3 looked fine but remained idle. Did a little bit of digging around on a palm forum and there was chatter about a process they call "de-liding", which is to remove the "lid" from the eye on the seed where the sprout will come out. 

Rather than hack away at the eye and do damage, I thought I'd use some sandpaper I had lying around to expose the "white dot" which is where the sprout will come from. 

Here's what the coconut looked like after 1 day after sandpapering:

IMG_20141222_182955.jpg
 ​
And after 2 days:

IMG_20141224_143152.jpg
 ​
If this works, I'm going to have a crack at a store bought coconut just to see whether this is really quick way to get a coconut to grow.

4-10 yrs until you get fruit?

About the same as a lot of common fruit trees from seed.

I was supprised.
I thought it would be longer before I checked it out.

Pretty cool if you can grow it...

It's just cool if you get it to sprout.

Good Luck!

Back