• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

cuisines Sashimi or Sushi Rolls

What is the preference here for those sushi lovers out there. A lot of people who never experienced a good sushi roll is missing out. I personally love the inside-out rolls (rice on the outside, seaweed inside), especially with spicy japanese mayo mixed inside. Soak it in soy sauce mixed with lots of wasabi and mmmmmm good!

Now I can enjoy some great sashimi too, but the simpleness leaves me wanting that mixed group of flavors from the bite of the roll. The crunch of the spider roll for me is an extra mind pleasure and then when the wasabi hits the forehead/nasal cavity and drifts away magically, the buzz is like no other.

So what are your preferences? Any special meals when you get your sushi or sashimi?

weres buddahs ass avitar gone god damn it?... only reason I opened the thread.....

lol
'
sad but true lol

yeah sushis great....

whatever...

I like mine simple. Just a nice slice of salmon over some rice. Then I dip it in soysauce mixed with wasabi....YUM!!!!

I like my sushi simple. maki with salmon, avocado and wasabi. nigiri with salmon.
Obviously a good salmon sashimi is good, too.
Yep... I really like salmon. :P

Spicy tuna is my favorite! I love it all though. Good fresh salmon sashimi with just a little lemon is awesome.

Only thing I won't try again is the UNI...(blech!)

I am not a huge fan of eel, but it is just the chewy texture I mind.

I really like tuna sashimi. Much better than Salmon. Sushi, if done correctly, is great! We have lots of pre made quick sushi bars that use cooked tuna! Bleahhh!

RS

PS Wasabi rocks!

stillmanz said:
weres buddahs ass avitar gone god damn it?... only reason I opened the thread.....

lol
'
sad but true lol

yeah sushis great....

whatever...

Sorry the powers that be said there were complaints so it was removed and I replaced with my favorite video game icon, Earl.

I am not into the uni either, but not into the eel as well. There is a place on Long Island where I grew up that makes some great sushi rolls. Rainbow rolls, dragon rolls, spider rolls, but their spicy tuna, salmon, yellowtail are great. My favorite is a simple roll they call the Onion roll, which has crab, onions, and spicy mayo. Everyone I had try it, went gaga over how it melts in your mouth. The wasabi and soy sauce soak into it so well for that great horseradish hit I love so much. They also make a low carb roll on demand, that uses thin slices of cucumber instead of rice to hold it all together. Ever on Long Island, look for Ozumo.

TUNA is it. Crab is my favorite cooked meat. Cooked tuna sucks. But raw??? Oh holy hell. Nothing better than a rare tuna steak or some tuna sushi or sashimi.

The other red meat is right! No other meat than tuna and beef go so easilly from red delicious to greyish and chewy when over cooked or cooked at all.

I read an article recently about how tuna loses a lot of it's life prolonging nutrients when cooked. Sad.

Like seeing some poor sap oreder filet mignon mid well.

cheezydemon said:
TUNA is it. Crab is my favorite cooked meat. Cooked tuna sucks. But raw??? Oh holy hell. Nothing better than a rare tuna steak or some tuna sushi or sashimi.

The other red meat is right! No other meat than tuna and beef go so easilly from red delicious to greyish and chewy when over cooked or cooked at all.

I read an article recently about how tuna loses a lot of it's life prolonging nutrients when cooked. Sad.

Like seeing some poor sap oreder filet mignon mid well.

My steaks still moo when I order them...My wife was actually grossed out when she was watching me eat my steak the other day:shocked::lol:. Flip-flip done. MOOOOOO........YUM!!!:D

Surf Clams and Mackerel.

There's an "all you can eat" sushi place here (yeah, sushi in New Mexico doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's good) $19.95 for dinner. I get my $19.95 worth, let me tell you!!!

Octopus, yellow fin, Toro (fatty tuna), New Mexico roll (has jalapeƱos in it)......its all good!

rabbit said:
My steaks still moo when I order them...My wife was actually grossed out when she was watching me eat my steak the other day:shocked::lol:. Flip-flip done. MOOOOOO........YUM!!!:D

I always say bring me a knife and a live cow....i'll cut off what i want to eat and ride the rest home....

I loooove me some sushi. I don't eat it near enough. I'm a roll girl, myself. I love all the different flavors & textures. That being said, I do love albacore tataki which is served sashimi style.

One of my favorite rolls is one I get from a place here in Kansas City, Kona Grill. It's called the Sunshine Roll. Spicy salmon & cucumber wrapped in seaweed & rice, topped with more fresh salmon & thinly sliced lemon. Dip it in soy sauce & wasabi...oooh mama.

Man, now I'm craving sushi.

I prefer sashimi but there is a place in San Diego called Sushi Ono and a chef named Robin that makes the most incredible spicy scallop rolls.

As far as Tuna goes my preferences are Bluefin, Albacore, Bigeye and Yellowfin but Yellowfin is usually better when seared.

One great thing to try is some yellowtail with a couple of slices of fresh jalapeno on them.

I think I speak for a number of people who have tried maki and have been disgusted, because we tried the most popular rolls: California and Philidelphia. Both still bother me. I don't want cream cheese in my sushi, and I don't want avacado in my sushi! I don't want my sushi to be mush, I want it to have some texture, some consistency! I WANT ROOM SERVICE!!!!

Anyway, my favorite sushi of all time is mutsu sashimi. But I'll try everything. Uni is fantastic, toro temaki is also one of my favorites.

Typically I'll go to my favorite sushi bar, tell the chef to not go above $80 dollars, and to make me whatever he'd like, as long as it's not on the menu. That usually ends up being an 8-10 course dinner and desert for two.

When I make sushi at home I just do maki rolls. I'm no chef, so I do what's easy.

klyth said:
I think I speak for a number of people who have tried maki and have been disgusted, because we tried the most popular rolls: California and Philidelphia. Both still bother me. I don't want cream cheese in my sushi, and I don't want avacado in my sushi! I don't want my sushi to be mush, I want it to have some texture, some consistency! I WANT ROOM SERVICE!!!!

Anyway, my favorite sushi of all time is mutsu sashimi. But I'll try everything. Uni is fantastic, toro temaki is also one of my favorites.

Typically I'll go to my favorite sushi bar, tell the chef to not go above $80 dollars, and to make me whatever he'd like, as long as it's not on the menu. That usually ends up being an 8-10 course dinner and desert for two.

When I make sushi at home I just do maki rolls. I'm no chef, so I do what's easy.

I absolutely detest cream cheese in my sushi too, but japanese mayo is another story for me. If it doesn't have the spicy mayo, I usually don't order it.

i never even heard of philadelphia rolls until recently when i saw sushi at the grocery store.
i like rainbow dragon rolls, best of both worlds (and they'll ussually shape it like a dragon with a little wasabi head :) )
last week i was visitin' my sister and we went to a sushi place we never tried before, i got 'sushi pizza' which was a crispy rice crust with chopped tuna mixed with spicy mayo on top (they had salmon and others too, but i like the tuna...) i usually shy away from anything involving mayo but it was awesome...

There's a thing called "sushi sandwich" and as the "Sandwich-Man", I love it!
They'll fry both sides if you ask them real nice, and it's sooo gooooood...

Back