shipping Sauce Compression

Hey all,

Long story short; I mailed two bottles of my sauce to Amsterdam and roundtripped them back to me.

(Was not intentional. Had a logistics SNAFU with my content creator who happens to be based in Amsterdam.)

Anyway, I figured I would use this opportunity to see how my sauce fared while traveling such a distance.

To my surprise the sauce compressed significantly. I'm not exactly sure what caused it. I do an emulsion so maybe the little tiny pockets of air in the emulsion compressed?

Any ideas? Here's a couple before and after photos.

After roundtrip to Amsterdam
20230630_090642.jpg

Before shipping
20230608_110341.jpg

Last edited:
The sauce was probably more aerated than you knew. Seeing the bottle, if filled to the top neck ring, it should not reduce below the lower neck ring when cooled.

I dont see on the label, what is the.OZ ? Bottle size?

I have this issue with a couple if sauces i make that involve blendering ingredients prior to cooking. I use a BlendTec blender which does a wonderful job of emulsifing everything, but does aerate also.

So when heating the sauce, i stir stir stir stir stir to work all the air out of the sauce before bottling.

The sauce was probably more aerated than you knew. Seeing the bottle, if filled to the top neck ring, it should not reduce below the lower neck ring when cooled.

I dont see on the label, what is the.OZ ? Bottle size?

I have this issue with a couple if sauces i make that involve blendering ingredients prior to cooking. I use a BlendTec blender which does a wonderful job of emulsifing everything, but does aerate also.

So when heating the sauce, i stir stir stir stir stir to work all the air out of the sauce before bottling.
Thanks SL. I use an 8oz bottle in these pics.

I've been using a vitamix to do the emulsion and gently stir as it's heating. I suppose the air pressure changes and so forth accelerated the compression? I've never noticed this happening to bottles I have in storage.

On a related note, have you tried an immersion blender for your emulsion? I'm working to scale and thinking a commercial immersion blender and giant stock pot might be the way to scale beyond blender sized batches.

I have found the immersion blender and ninja blenders do not get the viscosity and texture i want. The BlendTec with a Wildside carafe will take regular black pepper and make it talcum powder soft. I personally dont like pepper seeds in a sauce. The BlendTec will make a really smooth sauce, even if it is just blending tomatoes, onion, garlic, and food milled peppers.

The largest batch i do is about 8 gallons, batching 8 gallons worth of produce thru a 1 quart BlendTec would be quite a chore. So i look at things like dehydrating peppers, make a powder and use that instead of whole fresh chiles. Source tinned tomatoes with no added ingredients. Frozen ginger or ginger juice instead of fresh.

Good luck and have fun!
SL

MarFar, if you are still around, would you mind sending info on the PA? I have a new item to get licensed. You can send by DM if that feels more comfortable. Thanks.
SL

I have found the immersion blender and ninja blenders do not get the viscosity and texture i want. The BlendTec with a Wildside carafe will take regular black pepper and make it talcum powder soft. I personally dont like pepper seeds in a sauce. The BlendTec will make a really smooth sauce, even if it is just blending tomatoes, onion, garlic, and food milled peppers.

The largest batch i do is about 8 gallons, batching 8 gallons worth of produce thru a 1 quart BlendTec would be quite a chore. So i look at things like dehydrating peppers, make a powder and use that instead of whole fresh chiles. Source tinned tomatoes with no added ingredients. Frozen ginger or ginger juice instead of fresh.

Good luck and have fun!
SL
You doing a hot fill with that 8 gallon batch?

Yes, hot fill hold.

I did get a reply from the Oregon PA, price per product was about $200, price from UNL was about $250.

Price for a NIP.....$1,600. OoooKaaay!!! Not doing NIPs at this time.

I decided to go with the lab i have used for previous PA. I am just about to send off another product for PA.

Yes, hot fill hold.

I did get a reply from the Oregon PA, price per product was about $200, price from UNL was about $250.

Price for a NIP.....$1,600. OoooKaaay!!! Not doing NIPs at this time.

I decided to go with the lab i have used for previous PA. I am just about to send off another product for PA.
1600 for a nutrition facts panel? I used LabelCalc for about a hundred bucks I think.

They had 2 options.

Here's the body of the email---

Thank you for your interest in the Food Processing Center. We have two methods recognized by the FDA and/or USDA for generating the nutrient facts panel for a food label. We can usually generate a NFP for a sauce using the Database Method.

The first method is by chemical analysis as set forth by the FDA regulations in the Nutritional Labeling and Education Act of 1990 and update for the new 2016/2020 labels. The complete nutritional chemical analysis includes: Calories, Carbohydrates, Protein, Total Fat, Vitamin D, Potassium, Saturated Fat, Ash, Moisture, Sodium, Calcium, Iron, Cholesterol, Sugar, Dietary Fiber, and Trans Fat. This testing for nutrition facts panel is the most accurate method and works on all products. It requires a minimum of 1 pound of product. FPC recommends having a minimum of twelve samples from four different batches combined for the testing. This would give a more statistically correct result. Generating a nutrition facts panel by chemical analysis costs $1600.00 per product. Turnaround time is typically 15 to 20 business days. Payment is due when sample is submitted.

The second method is to generate a Database Nutritional Label (also FDA acceptable method) and requires the following information to complete:

1. Formulation (recipe) listing each: ingredient, ingredient’s item code, ingredient’s weight or percentage and ingredient supplier.

2. Nutrient Data sheets (including the 16 mandatory components – as listed in the chemical analysis method above, plus added sugars) for each ingredient. These can usually be obtained from the ingredient supplier by calling technical assistance and requesting nutritional data sheets on a 100 gram weight basis. We have found that a copy of the product’s nutrition facts panel contains rounded numbers and does not accurately reflect what is needed and cause FDA regulations not to be met.

a. FPC can also see if your ingredients are in the current database. To match ingredients provide: complete name of product, company producing product, any other identifying characteristics, a copy of the ingredients label and nutrition facts panel. And let us know whether to begin step 2 (b) if no match is determined.

b. If the database does not contain the information and you can/will not provide FPC with this information, FPC can attempt to obtain this information for you at an additional charge. FPC will need as detailed as possible, any information about each ingredient: brand, specific ingredient name, ingredient statement, ingredient codes, supplier contact and phone number and/or email address, etc. This would be billed on a per hour basis at $100.00 per hour.

3. Some products require a moisture analysis to aid the computer in adjusting the formulas moisture content to the actual finished products. This is usually because the product is going through a thermal (cooking/heating) process. A 1-cup sample is needed. Other chemical analysis may also be necessary depending on your product, the ability of the computer to make the necessary adjustments or desire to represent any claims. This analysis is an additional $25.00 charge.

4. Serving size in household measurement and weight for finished product in correct reference amount according to CFR Title 21 Chapter 1 Part 101.12 Table 1–Reference Amounts Customarily Consumed.

The Database Nutritional Label Costs $225.00 per product unless moisture analysis is also necessary then an additional $25.00 for a total $250.00. Typical turnaround time is 10 business days upon the receipt of all required information and product. If moisture needs to be run in our label, this will add a few extra days to the turnaround time for the label.

Please keep in mind these labels are only as accurate as the information used to generate the label, thus the importance for accurate and complete information. Remember, database labels do not work for all products. For either method please ship product and information to the following address:

SL

They had 2 options.

Here's the body of the email---

Thank you for your interest in the Food Processing Center. We have two methods recognized by the FDA and/or USDA for generating the nutrient facts panel for a food label. We can usually generate a NFP for a sauce using the Database Method.

The first method is by chemical analysis as set forth by the FDA regulations in the Nutritional Labeling and Education Act of 1990 and update for the new 2016/2020 labels. The complete nutritional chemical analysis includes: Calories, Carbohydrates, Protein, Total Fat, Vitamin D, Potassium, Saturated Fat, Ash, Moisture, Sodium, Calcium, Iron, Cholesterol, Sugar, Dietary Fiber, and Trans Fat. This testing for nutrition facts panel is the most accurate method and works on all products. It requires a minimum of 1 pound of product. FPC recommends having a minimum of twelve samples from four different batches combined for the testing. This would give a more statistically correct result. Generating a nutrition facts panel by chemical analysis costs $1600.00 per product. Turnaround time is typically 15 to 20 business days. Payment is due when sample is submitted.

The second method is to generate a Database Nutritional Label (also FDA acceptable method) and requires the following information to complete:

1. Formulation (recipe) listing each: ingredient, ingredient’s item code, ingredient’s weight or percentage and ingredient supplier.

2. Nutrient Data sheets (including the 16 mandatory components – as listed in the chemical analysis method above, plus added sugars) for each ingredient. These can usually be obtained from the ingredient supplier by calling technical assistance and requesting nutritional data sheets on a 100 gram weight basis. We have found that a copy of the product’s nutrition facts panel contains rounded numbers and does not accurately reflect what is needed and cause FDA regulations not to be met.

a. FPC can also see if your ingredients are in the current database. To match ingredients provide: complete name of product, company producing product, any other identifying characteristics, a copy of the ingredients label and nutrition facts panel. And let us know whether to begin step 2 (b) if no match is determined.

b. If the database does not contain the information and you can/will not provide FPC with this information, FPC can attempt to obtain this information for you at an additional charge. FPC will need as detailed as possible, any information about each ingredient: brand, specific ingredient name, ingredient statement, ingredient codes, supplier contact and phone number and/or email address, etc. This would be billed on a per hour basis at $100.00 per hour.

3. Some products require a moisture analysis to aid the computer in adjusting the formulas moisture content to the actual finished products. This is usually because the product is going through a thermal (cooking/heating) process. A 1-cup sample is needed. Other chemical analysis may also be necessary depending on your product, the ability of the computer to make the necessary adjustments or desire to represent any claims. This analysis is an additional $25.00 charge.

4. Serving size in household measurement and weight for finished product in correct reference amount according to CFR Title 21 Chapter 1 Part 101.12 Table 1–Reference Amounts Customarily Consumed.

The Database Nutritional Label Costs $225.00 per product unless moisture analysis is also necessary then an additional $25.00 for a total $250.00. Typical turnaround time is 10 business days upon the receipt of all required information and product. If moisture needs to be run in our label, this will add a few extra days to the turnaround time for the label.

Please keep in mind these labels are only as accurate as the information used to generate the label, thus the importance for accurate and complete information. Remember, database labels do not work for all products. For either method please ship product and information to the following address:

SL
Wow they are expensive! LabelCalc charged me $125 for access to the database and a single product, but as many revisions as I need.

I have not done any NIPs as my production is waaaaaay below the FDA requirements for labeling.

Some grocery chains REQUIRE NIPs, but legally they can't require them. It is their own internal policies. Same thing with bar codes. Some grocery chains REQUIRE bar codes. But per fed standards, bar codes a NOT required for a product to be sold.

It is up to you to get an exemption from that grocery chain, or get some NIPs and bar codes.

As a side note....I know of a couple sauce contests that REQUIRE a bar code in order for a product to be entered in their contest. They do not require proof of food service licensing, facility licensing, BPCS or equivalent for the processor..... just a BAR CODE that can be purchased online for ANY type of product, food related or not. I could buy 10 codes online, cook up the sauce in my meth lab of an RV, send it to the sauce contest and be totally legit to their rules. :banghead:

Last edited:
I have not done any NIPs as my production is waaaaaay below the FDA requirements for labeling.

Some grocery chains REQUIRE NIPs, but legally they can't require them. It is their own internal policies. Same thing with bar codes. Some grocery chains REQUIRE bar codes. But per fed standards, bar codes a NOT required for a product to be sold.

It is up to you to get an exemption from that grocery chain, or get some NIPs and bar codes.

As a side note....I know of a couple sauce contests that REQUIRE a bar code in order for a product to be entered in their contest. They do not require proof of food service licensing, facility licensing, BPCS or equivalent for the processor..... just a BAR CODE that can be purchased online for ANY type of product, food related or not. I could buy 10 codes online, cook up the sauce in my meth lab of an RV, send it to the sauce contest and be totally legit to their rules. :banghead:
Hahaha that'd be quite the sauce!

Unfortunately, i know of a case where someone was selling and promoting their homemade sauce online, getting reviewers to promote it. Come to find out LEO and CPS raided the house. It was rat infested, rotting rat carcass and what was thought to be a cat carcass, a child in a deplorable state living in urine and feces..... there is ( or was several years ago) a news article about it.

Yea, i get a little pissy when people blow off whether a company is licensed or not....

Last edited:
Yes, I got that from the first post! Sorry, did not mean to imply anything other! My Apologies!

Just expressing my opinion about those who dont do it right as a processor. And those online reviewers/etc...who enable illegal processors...

I used to watch FB groups but gave it up. Not worth the space in my brain worrying about illlegal hot sauce makers.
SL

Yes, I got that from the first post! Sorry, did not mean to imply anything other! My Apologies!

Just expressing my opinion about those who dont do it right as a processor. And those online reviewers/etc...who enable illegal processors...

I used to watch FB groups but gave it up. Not worth the space in my brain worrying about illlegal hot sauce makers.
SL
No worries! I was in kinda a weird mood so was reading too much into it. Thanks :)

Back