• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sauce explosion problem- need help!

Ive been having an issue with my cooked sauce fermenting and blowing up once opened. Once all cooked at 200 degrees for 20 minutes, I bottle and then refrigerate. Im incredibly confused why, as I have read a ton about this and the general understanding is that once cooked at 190 for 15 minutes that it will remedy the problem by killing all active bacteria. I have sterilized the funnel I use as well as the bottles that are to be filled.

Note that I am NOT using sweetener, sugar or pineapple/mango. I am using a combo of fresh and dehydrated peppers...would limiting this to dehydrated only help my cause? To mix, I use a Vitamix...is this adding air and is this part of the problem?

Sometimes I will cook, then let cool to room temp to make spice adjustments. I then will cook at 200 degrees at 20 minutes. Then I will refrigerate.

Is it always necessary to hot-bottle direct from the 200 degree/20 min cook?

Any help would be appreciated!

Salsalady, The batch makes about 30 oz.  

12 Guajillo dried
25 arbol dried
5 habanero
1 cup white vin
1 onion 
dried spices 
salt
1 T pumpkin seeds raw
4-5 cups water 

Process:
-Rehydrate dried peppers while pan searing the onion (utilizing 1 tsp Avocado oil)
-Once peppers soft, add all ingredients except vinegar into Vitamix
-Add vinegar slowly at very end, then blend
-Cook at 200 degrees for 20 min

From there, I have used hot bottle method and also (possibly incorrectly) waited for batch to cool to in order to adjust salt level, then cook at 200 for 20 min.

Then, they head to the fridge. 

Sorry about the weird highlighting in my text...not sure how to remedy!

Thanks all!

The total amount of liquids (assuming 5 cups of water was used) would roughly create a 17% vinegar mix. Adding the other ingredients would bring down this percentage even further. I would say your recipe definitely didn't have pH levels low enough to sustain shelf stability. 

A very rough rule of thumb you want to try to achieve is at least 20% vinegar. However I would still recommend testing every batch with a pH meter, you want to aim for a pH of 4 and below.

Shorerider said:
The total amount of liquids (assuming 5 cups of water was used) would roughly create a 17% vinegar mix. Adding the other ingredients would bring down this percentage even further. I would say your recipe definitely didn't have pH levels low enough to sustain shelf stability. 

A very rough rule of thumb you want to try to achieve is at least 20% vinegar. However I would still recommend testing every batch with a pH meter, you want to aim for a pH of 4 and below.
Yep to ^^^.

The onion and habanero might be another cup, and the rehydrated chiles another cup or maybe 2. For a total of 6 to 8 cups × 8oz = 48-64 oz. Which could be 12.5%.

Doesn't add up to 30 oz...:shrug:?

Jmarglon said:
]From there,I have used hot bottle method and also (possibly incorrectly) waited for batch to cool to in order to adjust salt level, then cook at 200 for 20 min
This shouldn't be a problem. Sauces can be cooled for a while to taste, they can be fully cooled in the fridge for a day or so. As long as you do what you did and fully raise the temp before bottling, 20 minutes is fine as long as no NEW raw ingredients are added.

Jmarglon said:
Forgot to ask- any recommendations for a ph tester? I see them from $30-150.  All over the board! Thx 

I've used this for my hot sauces:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005H78ZI0

Either use the known value of your tap water or vinegar to calibrate, or buy these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007X5J9L6/

I think this is the nature of the devices, but I need to calibrate mine before each batch (don't make hot sauce much these days).  If you use a testing solution, no need to adjust; you can just make the mathematical adjustment after the measurement.

I hope you read this guide:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29501-making-hot-sauce-101/

Back