• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

video Sauce from dehydrated peppers and dry ingredients only

My new favorite recipe and method to make hot sauce. Super easy, shelf stable, easy to make small batches and fine tune adjustments to heat level and flavor profile.
1.5 oz water (thickened with xanthan gum, 1/4 tsp to 8oz water)
1 oz white vinegar
.5 oz apple cider vinegar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked carolina reaper powder
2 tsp cayenne

Blend it all together and that's it. Good to go right away but flavor really develops after a day or 2.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
what is the volume of the finished recipe? i have never made sauce before. i have grown, pickled and dried peppers but never did sauce.  :cheers:
This ends up being around 4 oz. Easily scaled up, when I make this recipe now I usually quadruple everything and it perfectly fills 3x 5oz woozy bottles. 

The recipe is a really small batch because I was testing flavor profile and heat level. I'd recommend you start with a small batch like this and tweak the recipe until its exactly how you want it, then you can easily scale up to larger batches.  

i tried this but didn`t have xanthan gum on hand. did a search and saw that cornstarch can be used to thicken sauces also but it takes more to thicken than xanthan gum. it tastes great but is still too thin for my liking and there is some separation when it sits. i know the xanthan gum will help that so i`m going to pick some up. :cheers: 

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
i tried this but didn`t have xanthan gum on hand. did a search and saw that cornstarch can be used to thicken sauces also but it takes more to thicken than xanthan gum. it tastes great but is still too thin for my liking and there is some separation when it sits. i know the xanthan gum will help that so i`m going to pick some up. :cheers: 
Yup, xanthan gum has been great. And a teeny but goes a loooong way so even a small bag will last you a very long time. Just make sure you're blending or vigorously stirring the liquid as you slowly sprinkle in the xanthan. It clumps very easily and almost impossible to blend out once it clumps. 

UnNatural said:
Ha! Yeah! Thanks for sharing.

Surprised more people don't use dried peppers more for making sauce. I can dehydrate and grind my surplus pepper harvest and just make smaller batches as needed. Stores better and takes up less room.

I was glad to find a thread about using dried chiles.  When I collected seeds this year, I dehydrated all of the pods that got deseeded.   If I use these in making a sauce at some point, do they need to be pulverized into a fine dust to use them, or should they be reconstituted in liquid and used that way?   

I don't have a lot of any one kind, but I did end up dehydrating about 60 varieties.   Now I just need to figure out what to do with them.   Aside from just grinding them up into a powder to use, what other options do I have?

dried1.jpg

dried2.jpg

dried3.jpg

dried4.jpg

Nice collection of dried pods there!

You can certainly rehydrate them and use them that way, a lot of people do. You’ll end up with a thicker consistency that way. For a sambal or salsa style sauce that would be the way to go. For a thinner sauce that pours easy I prefer using them powered and dialing in the viscosity I want using xanthan gum.

SCARBO said:

I was glad to find a thread about using dried chiles.  When I collected seeds this year, I dehydrated all of the pods that got deseeded.   If I use these in making a sauce at some point, do they need to be pulverized into a fine dust to use them, or should they be reconstituted in liquid and used that way?   

I don't have a lot of any one kind, but I did end up dehydrating about 60 varieties.   Now I just need to figure out what to do with them.   Aside from just grinding them up into a powder to use, what other options do I have?

dried1.jpg

dried2.jpg

dried3.jpg

dried4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnNatural said:
Nice collection of dried pods there!

You can certainly rehydrate them and use them that way, a lot of people do. You’ll end up with a thicker consistency that way. For a sambal or salsa style sauce that would be the way to go. For a thinner sauce that pours easy I prefer using them powered and dialing in the viscosity I want using xanthan gum.

That's great info to have.   Thanks for the clarification!

Back