misc Sauce Reviewers

So, I am about 5 days away from being ready to unleash my BLACKBERRY BELLE on the world.

I have tried to get some talk going, create a bit of a buzz, garner some interest in the new sauce and I think it has worked somewhat.

Over the last 6-8 weeks, I have received about 20-25 emails or FB messages from people who want to review my sauce(s).

Diving head first into the fiery food business, I like to learn and really get a feel for all the different companies and people out there, so I spend a lot of time checking out peoples sites, youtube pages, etc. etc.

I understand as a new business, getting coverage of my sauces can be considered part of my start-up costs and part of being in the biz....

As of now, I am not doing large quantities and simply cannot afford to send out bottles to everyone who requests them.
From my research, i have gathered info on a few individuals who seem to get a lot of traffic on their sites and youtube page visits that I can justify sending to....

But for the others, with limited views on their pages, while you never know where people are gonna read and hear about you, I simply cannot afford to take those chances at the moment. Anyone can set up a camera, say they love hot sauce, and want to review your product....How do I know this person is simply not collecting sauces and humoring us with a quick review, while building his/her collection.

A friend (also a newbie in the biz) said that if I get approached for bottles of my sauce, I should make the reviewer at least cover the shipping of the product to them, if not at least a 50/50 split of the costs. This would show their seriousness in wanting to review my product and not just looking for freebie hand-outs.

What does everyone think? Is this a reasonable solution for a small time newbie like me? I want to grow, expand and get exposure. But I also need to protect my own interests....

thoughts?

Oh, and in addition..

Ws wondering if u guys would share your thoughts on the 4-5 most important reviewers out there on reputation and following, so I can make sure i get some sauce to them!   thx again!

This is a great and timely post.  I just launched my facebook page tonight and created a twitter account.  I was compiling a list of blogs to notify for my kickstarter campaign.  When it comes to reviewers, I only know a few fairly big names:

I'm sure others can provide more insight but I think this is a good start.  Good luck.

Ken

JayT

Bill Moore
reviewers are often times backlogged.  You may not get a review for quite a while after you launch. 

Ted Barrus

Check to see if the reviewer has a blog/and or website with active and frequent reviews, and a social media following. All you have to do is ask and look. :)

Are the youtube reviewers out there my best bet to get coverage...

of course, i will check em out and see what kind of amount of reviews they are getting...

is the idea of having reviewers at least cover the cost of shipping a viable option, or should it stay on me as a cost of doing business cost?
I hate saying no to people who want to taste and review my stuff, but at the same time, I get a vibe from a lot of them who seem to be just collecting...

hmmmm

Reviewers pay for shipping? Hell no!

You're gonna have to give free ones out to get them reviewed. Yes, it's the cost of doing business. Some won't even get reviewed. In the music biz you send your CD and press kit to hundreds of magazines and blogs, and you may get 5 reviews. This may cost you $1000. You also spend a grand sending to radio stations that play it once or never. Luckily in the hot sauce biz it's a little easier. Most reviewers will get to it for a review. Who you send to is up to you. Just see if they are active.

I agree Mr. Administrator! you are right.

i worked in the music biz for 15 years and still run my own label to this day.

the only discrepancy (prior to the days of mp3), it was much much cheaper to send out cd's to reviewers, the nit is to send a bottle of sauce packaged safely.

i guess being new to the biz, i need to do my research on who the reputable reviewers are, who actually have an audience and differentiate them from those who have a camera attached to their monitor and put up videos that 4 people view. i can do that work.....

Reviews are one way to get your name out there and build product recognition. There are some amazing people to meet. Just bear in mind that most do this in their spare time, around work and well life, so sometimes it can take a little while for the reviews to come through. To begin with try to get a combination of video and print reviews...my 0.2 is that I don't always have time to watch the videos but I can always manage to read the print version of products/companies I am interested in.

Of course as I said before reviews are just one way, you are so lucky to be able to participate in one of the big shows this early, an amazing one stop shop for you to get your name out there, and of course meet some of the industry's biggest, best and brightest names. Maybe some of those reviewers will be there and you can hand them a bottle or two.

Good luck, it is exciting and nerve racking biting the bullet to do this. Something tells me, you'll do just fine!

To Whom and where you send your product for reviews should be considered carefully.  There are several well-known and respected reviewers that I would pay to send a new Texas Creek product to for review.  

On the other side, I've been hit up about 5 times just this week with requests for sauces to be reviewed from people I know nothing about, and frankly don't feel like taking the time to seek out their "Channel".   If they even have a "channel"... or maybe just a couple vids up.....

A lot of how this works is where a person is in their business growth.  When first starting out, yea, get the product out there to the reviewers and who's to say that the "reviewer" I just dissed by not sending them product won't be the next YT food critic sensation.  That's part of the gamble.   

And don't discard the National Biggie Events-
THPA
Screaming Mimi's
golden chiles
scovies

and many others depending on the product....

I have been following this and thought I would add my thoughts.  First of all, hi Gemini Crow, I am JayT.  I am the official reviewer for this site.  I only do written reviews with a couple rather notable exceptions (Ann :lol:).  If you want to check out my reviews, they are in the Review tab at the top of your screen.  At present, we only do official reviews of commercial sauces, but I would be happy to try out your sauces and give you my opinions either in a pm, or on a thread here if you would rather.

On to the rest of the points, seek out reputable, well-known, reviewers that will post their reviews where people will see them.  There are maybe a dozen of them that come to mind.  Many have been mentioned here by others.  As far as your concerns about reviewers being out to get free stuff, most of the good ones that I know are inundated with sauces and are hardly out there looking for handouts.  Myself, I currently have a backlog of over two dozen sauces to review.   I have boxes and boxes of sauces lying around here so seeking out new saucemakers to beg for sauce is hardly on my to-do list.  As far as asking a reviewer to pay for sauces or shipping, don't.  I spend hours working on reviews and do not get paid.  If you ask me, my reviews are worth a lot more than the $10 it costs in sauce and shipping for them.  Where can you get any kind of world-wide marketing for $10?

Youtube...oh youtube.  I have seen some really fantastic reviews on youtube, but for the most part I do not like them.  You cannot thoroughly review a sauce in a ten minute video.  My process for reviews involves trying the sauce by itself, then cooking and eating it with food for a week or so until I know what it is good with or not.  Then and only then will I sit down and write a thorough review.  I won't go into all the aspects of what is in the written review as you can check them out for yourself, but I will just say that it is much more comprehensive than any video.  Oh, and I do post pictures too.  I am partial, but I just think written reviews are much better than some boob with a camera snotting,spitting, and telling you how hot something is for nine minutes.

The tradeshows are the best thing you can do for your company.  Not only are they the best way to network and get your name out there, but they are a heckuva lot of fun!  This industry is FULL of fantastic people that would be happy to help you grow your business in any way they can.  Take your time, do some research, and good luck!

+1. 

Go to shows. 
Meet selected Reviewers.
Give out sauce. 
Profit. 

FeistyParrot said:
Reviews are one way to get your name out there and build product recognition. There are some amazing people to meet. Just bear in mind that most do this in their spare time, around work and well life, so sometimes it can take a little while for the reviews to come through. To begin with try to get a combination of video and print reviews...my 0.2 is that I don't always have time to watch the videos but I can always manage to read the print version of products/companies I am interested in.

Of course as I said before reviews are just one way, you are so lucky to be able to participate in one of the big shows this early, an amazing one stop shop for you to get your name out there, and of course meet some of the industry's biggest, best and brightest names. Maybe some of those reviewers will be there and you can hand them a bottle or two.

Good luck, it is exciting and nerve racking biting the bullet to do this. Something tells me, you'll do just fine!

Back