• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Sauce Still Has Bubbles After Vinegar Added

I make a smoked pepper/garlic/shallot sauce and this time the sauce still has bubbles on top despite the addition of white wine vinegar after a month+ of fermentation in Bangkok weather and straining out of the mash.  No refrigerated fermentation period was used at all.  
Here is the math.

I started with 2235 grams total of Thai chilies, garlic (4 heads) and shallots, (8 small bulbs) after smoking them in my BBQ with indirect heat and apple wood chips.
smoking_IMG_2587.jpg

To this mix I added 3 cups water (709 mL) 
75 grams of salt (fleur de sel) which by my calculations was 3%-ish of 2235.

This is the fermentation setup.  Each bottle had boiling water poured into it before adding the mash.

IMG_2599_1.jpg

Of the month+ of fermentation the mash was stirred almost daily.  No fungus or mold etc was ever seen.

After fermentation, I measured 2200mls of sauce which included the mash.  

To this, I added 1 liter of white wine vinegar.  Bubbles formed then.

IMG_2814_1.jpg

I then began the process of blending down the mash and sauce (In an electric blender as I always have done) to the smallest possible size pieces before straining it.  

IMG_2815_1.jpg

Once the mash was strained from the sauce, i noticed bubbles still at the top surface.  They do no dissipate  after stirring or setting overnight.  
IMG_2825 copy.jpg

The video here just shows me stirring the surface to show the bubbles present. View attachment bubbles.mov

I'm worried as this will be my first bottled batch for sale!  I've bottled a few as you can see, but have stopped till I get some feedback here and I've left the lids on loose. ;) 
IMG_2828_1.jpg

Is this something to worry about or does anyone see any issues with my procedures?  Sauce tastes fine, my Thai wife says "alloi" which means tasty in Thai.  I wonder why these bubbles are there after many early test runs never having this happen.  

I appreciate any feedback anyone can give. :)

TIA

Thank you @smokin' hot and @showmesauce.  
I've never needed to boil my fermented sauce ever.  Is adding more vinegar an option as well?  Did I somehow miscalculate the amount of vinegar needed?  I've always worked from the same basic recipe.

Math was never my strong point.  

BTW @showmesauce, I'm originally from St. Louis.  ;)

AaronTT said:
It is still fermenting, which is why its stil producing bubbles. You can either just wait until its completely finished, or boil it to stop the fermentation. It looks tasy though, congrats!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
pH has to get pretty low for Lacto B to stop munching sugar. IIRC its still active down to 3.2pH or a bit less.

Today the bubbles had still not dissipated.  I had tightened the lids on the few small bottles I had filled last night and none exploded lol, but they all had a bubbly surface to them.  

So I put the entire batch into a pot and added a small amount of vinegar, using 1TB of apple cider vinegar with the mother in it, a squirt of pineapple vinegar, a squirt of red wine vinegar, and a squirt of distilled vinegar.  
I then did a slow heating of the batch till it was boiling and am now letting it cool. 

I'm really disappointed that the process did not work as it had several times previously using the same proportions as I posted above and I'm really hoping the boiling will have settled this batch down.  

I've enjoyed the simplicity of fermentation, adding the vinegar to stop the fermentation, filtering the mash, and TADA! the sauce is done, no boiling required.

If anyone has any ideas on what I should have done differently please feel free to post as I am mystified. :)
Sorry I have no way to test pH here. :(

IMG_2830_1.jpg

AaronTT said:
It is still fermenting, which is why its stil producing bubbles. You can either just wait until its completely finished, or boil it to stop the fermentation. It looks tasy though, congrats!
I thought adding vinegar, i.e. lowering the pH is what stopped the fermentation process and negates the need to boil or cook the sauce.  

Is this correct?

My percentage of white wine vinegar to mash is 33%-ish so just looking for some consistency here so I can go into a low volume production.  Just looking to be steered in a direction that doesn't require boiling, and fermentation of a month is adequate.

Just as a mention, this is the recipe I have based my sauces on https://honest-food.net/fermented-hot-sauce-recipe/
The author does not try to make tabasco but puts his own twist on it.  I have followed his lead and put my own twist on things  using  jalapeños when available here and thai chilies, but leaving the basic chemistry intact of 3% salt-fermentation of a month+ and then adding the vinegar to stop the fermentation.
tobasco_screenshot.jpg

Back