• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sauce vs. Pepper.

This is in no way a thread for preference or comparison - well sorta.

I am just curious, as I am able to handle a spoon full of non-extract sauces on demand, talkin Yellow7, Skobiyan, I can even eat trinidad scorp powder to a point.
However I am eagerly curious to know why sauces are so much easier to consume in larger quantities than unprocessed chillies (be it frozen or fresh).

Sauces just seem to be a lot easier than I imagined, and yet when I go to eat a whole pepper it easily but whole peppers are quite difficult.
would somebody just call me crazy and be over with it? lol

they are usually not as hot as the peppers used to make them...mho

There's always other things in a sauce not just 100% pods.
A lot of powders have seeds removed.

I understand they aren't pure. But even puree is easier to handle, I wonder if it's cause of the low vinegar content.
I ask cause I seem to be able to handle all the real hot sauces but barely survive a habanero... I would have thought sauces are hotter than a hab, or it maybe cause the hab burn affects my mouth harsher than the superhots with the compounds....

There has been something mentioned called "terpines" in fresh peppers. Not sure what exactly this is but suspect it isn't present after processing and may make the fresh peppers seem hotter.
Some of my peppers have quite a different flavor and aroma after drying compared to fresh. Noticed this especially with bhuts.

I understand they aren't pure. But even puree is easier to handle, I wonder if it's cause of the low vinegar content.
I ask cause I seem to be able to handle all the real hot sauces but barely survive a habanero... I would have thought sauces are hotter than a hab, or it maybe cause the hab burn affects my mouth harsher than the superhots with the compounds....

Puree still isn't as strong as a fresh pod unless your puree is pods only. A habanero sauce will never be as hot as a hab pod unless you add extract or hotter peppers. Cooking pods in sauces can mellow the flavor/heat somewhat too as all the ingredients blend together

Puree still isn't as strong as a fresh pod unless your puree is pods only. A habanero sauce will never be as hot as a hab pod unless you add extract or hotter peppers. Cooking pods in sauces can mellow the flavor/heat somewhat too as all the ingredients blend together

Doesn't cooking kill some of the capsaicin as well?

There has been something mentioned called "terpines" in fresh peppers. Not sure what exactly this is but suspect it isn't present after processing and may make the fresh peppers seem hotter.
Some of my peppers have quite a different flavor and aroma after drying compared to fresh. Noticed this especially with bhuts.

Thanks man, this answers my question :)

With fresh pods, the oils come into direct contact with your tongue, so I'd imagine it would be more intense.

Back