pickling Sauerkraut no squeezing method

Going to try making sauerkraut 1 teaspoon salt per cup water no squeezing this time .
I cant remember if it needs to be burped or if my fermentation lids "The kind you can suck the air out with the syringe " let the gasses out on there own . It's been a bit more then a few years and beers since I made a batch
🙂

Any recommendations on recipe are welcome I'm just going to add some garlic and peppercorns and a few peppers to one of the jars .

Well hopefully I did it right and its not to salty 1 tea spoon kosher salt per cup brine never made it without the squeezing heard it was better this way . My only concern is I ran out of fermenting lids and had to use a Mason lid on the 5th jar will It bow up ?

I really thought I had more lids and this is only 2 heads of cabbage .
kraught.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. You need to burp it pretty regular, especially in the beginning. If the lid is bulging up, burp it.

Here's a little twist you might like.

Curtido
I'm going to try that I got a head left I didn't think 2 heads would produce so much (5 Quarts)

I do have a question for you - How do you can this stuff to make it shelf stable I guess you have to let it ferment first but what then ? Is it a water bath or will that cook it - Or just a fridge storage I've got my trusty Presto pressure canner , If I water bathed it for 15 min wouldn't that cook it and if I was to water bath it should I re-jar it to pints so I can have the 1 inch head space ?

"I just looked into it looks like WB but it loses its probiotics so might not be worth it"

I love this site so much info I believe i'm going extreme !

Last edited:
Hey Gargoyle,
My parents would shred the cabbage using something like a mandolin on steroids slicer, toss the raw cabbage with salt, pack it in a straight sided crock, flat plate and some kind of weight on top, cover with tea towel and into to warm closet. That warm closet was under the stairs where the hot water heater was.

It went there for... 1 week? ... 2 weeks? I dunno, i was a kid and didnt give a hoot....

Anyway, there was no brine added, only salt on the cabbage.

At some time after the cabbage got to ... whatever? ... they packed it into pint jars and processed it. I dont know if it was bwb or pressure cook. Google it.

We loved that kraut!
We were camping, i think at Kalaloch on the washington peninsula, bro and I cooked weenies over the campfire, Mom heated up some sauerkraut in the 16' Mercury trailer . Bro and I tucked in at the table, scooped up the kraut and did a ... wtf? ...expression. what was the nasty stuff on our plate?

Turns out that nasty stuff was store bought canned sauerkraut. Not our homemade crunchy yummy kraut.

Mom never served that crap to us again.

True story.

I use the same technique as Salsalady's parents. Squeeze, salt, cover with a cloth. After a week I put them in the fridge and they keep well.

You can also place the cap on the fifth jar, without closing it.

I also hated commercial sauerkraut (or the kind with added vinegar, which is useless), before I made it myself.

I'm going to try that I got a head left I didn't think 2 heads would produce so much (5 Quarts)

I do have a question for you - How do you can this stuff to make it shelf stable I guess you have to let it ferment first but what then ? Is it a water bath or will that cook it - Or just a fridge storage I've got my trusty Presto pressure canner , If I water bathed it for 15 min wouldn't that cook it and if I was to water bath it should I re-jar it to pints so I can have the 1 inch head space ?

"I just looked into it looks like WB but it loses its probiotics so might not be worth it"

I love this site so much info I believe i'm going extreme !

You're right, BWB is how you would can it. And yes, that "cooks" it, and destroys the probiotic benefits. It's still good, though. Personally, I use one head and pack it into pint jars. Don't use iodized salt. Use kosher or sea salt. No squeezing for me, but I do use a sauerkraut stomper to pack it into the jars. Let it ferment until the cabbage changes color - from green to that delicious creamy tan color. Usually 3–4 weeks. Then, into the fridge it goes. It literally lasts for years this way. I've opened two-year-old jars, and it's still nice and crunchy and delicious.

Here's what the "experts" say is the "approved" way. National Center for Home Food Preservation.

And going "Extreme" is a great way to support the site! It helps pay the bills and makes Boss happy. And you know, a happy Boss is....just that, I guess.:beer:

Back