• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Sausage and Rigitoni

! rope of Italian sausage. I prefer to boil in beer before cutting into chunks

SR1.jpg

After boiled cut into 2 to 3 inch chunks

SR2.jpg

Onto the grill for some char. Once browned pull from heat and reserve

SR3.jpg

2 cans of San Marzano tomato, 1 can tomato paste. Spices (Italain seasoning, garlic powder, Thyme, ,Black pepper and sugar

SR4.jpg

Heat Dutch over coals and drizzle in some EVOO and sauté the onion until just starting to brown

SR6.jpg

Add in the tomato. Do not forget to rinse the can with a little water or rd wine and dump that into the Dutch over as well. 

SR9.jpg

Crush up the whole tomato

SR10.jpg

Add in the spices and stir

View attachment 86345

Place over heat source to simmer for a couple hours. I did toss in a handful of Applewood pellets to get just a hint of smoke flavor. Once I am satisfied with the smoke level I'll cover the Dutch oven and let it simmer sirring occasionally.

SR11.jpg

Will be served with al dente rigatoni topped with fresh grated parmesan chees and some mozzarella garlic beard 

Attachments

• SR12.jpg
    SR12.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 101
looks tasty!!! is it spicy italian sausage? i usually boil the hot italian sausage before grilling but i never used beer, i will have to try that next time.  :cheers:

Very nice, wish I was there to share.

Any particular reason for using whole canned tomatoes vs crushed canned tomatoes of the same brand?

I've been on a San Marzano kick lately and have only ever found them whole peeled. I've even been using them for pizza sauce using the imersion blender to break them down

Back