• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Scarification Success Again! - Brined Orange Peppadew seeds ***NOT!***

UPDATE: Even though the seeds popped, their roots just disintegrated and died in the plug. I guess the brine must have done a number on them. Oh well, good experiment.

I went the Whole Foods Market, and got some orange peppadews just so i can get some seed. Eh, what the heck i said to my self. I collected about 12 seeds. I thought, this time, i'll do scarification on them since they worked so well with C. Galapagoense, wouldn't hurt, since the last time i tried germinating brined peppedews i got nothing after 6 weeks of germination. So i dunked the seeds in hydrogen peroxide and cut them up realll good :D And i wake up this morning and guess what i saw:

P1020770.jpg

WHUUUUU, 5 seeds germinated in 1 day ... i guess they had their germination cycle in that sweet brine peppadews usually are stored in. Woot!!! I put 4 of the seeds in plugs. So lets see how that goes.

This scarification process, does it make that noticeable of a difference with all types of seeds you have tried it to? Also are you just cutting into the seeds a bit to do this scarification?

This scarification process, does it make that noticeable of a difference with all types of seeds you have tried it to? Also are you just cutting into the seeds a bit to do this scarification?

Well i have tried it on two types so far, c. galapoense, which was germinating for 6 weeks with no success. I was going to throw them away, but tried cutting a little piece where the little root usually comes out and the next day it popped! The other was the orange peppadew which also worked, the next day they popped too!

Yes, you just need to use an exacto knife and cut a tiny piece where the root usually comes out, thats all. Your mileage may vary, if the seed is dead or not viable, nothing will happen.

Thanks!

after reading your success on the galapagoense, i decided to try it on some locato that have never germinated. 1 seed looks like it may have a swelling but it's hard to tell the other was mush. so i just tried it again with 2 more seeds, hopefully i am hitting the mark and nicking in the correct spot.

sounds like you got the technique down, good for you.

UPDATE: Even though the seeds popped, their roots just disintegrated and died in the plug. I guess the brine must have done a number on them. Oh well, good experiment.

I started mine today with three different types: Bhut Jolokia, Caribbean Red, and Manzano. I soaked them overnight and they are in small plastic sauce containers. I'll update when I get some results, if any.

@pepperjam

very nice, congrats!
i am going to buy a jar full of peppadews to get some seeds in the near future. recently i´ve become interested growing this variety.
does someone know something about the laws? is it legal to grow it for private purposes since its proteceted?

you said you had obtained orange peppadews but the ones i see in our markets are red - are there different strains?

thanx and good luck :cool:

PS: anyone else succeed with the scarification method?

Well with the ones that I tried it on, I didn't get any incredible results. I just got pretty standard germ rates.

The peppadew did show a tap root, but they dissolved, probably because of the brine solution they were swimming in before i washed them. When i did scarification on rare C. Galapagoense seeds after 6 weeks of nothing, i got 5/8 to pop THE NEXT DAY and they are doing great right now. Probably 5 inches tall each one.

Back