• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Scarification Success - C. Galapagoense

So here's the story. I got some C. Galapagoense seeds back in Dec. I knew these are super rare types that take a long time to germinate so i put them into cups and left them on a temp of 85 degrees. After 2 weeks, some of the seeds started growing fungus. So i cleaned them again and dunked them into a hydrogen peroxide solution. After 4 weeks, the same seeds grew fungus again, but at this point i said to myself, i'll just leave them and see what happens.

Yesterday, i got fed up and took drastic action. I read about scarification, a process in which you nick the seed so moisture can get into the seed and so the seed can start germinating its tail out. Anyways, i bought a x-acto knife and cut the ends where the seed should pop its little tail from. I left them overnight and after coming back from work today, i see this:

P1020706.jpg

6 out of 8 seeds germinated!!! I mean one day! come on! that is amazing! I thought i mutilated those suckers, but i guess not. I'll put this into plugs this weekend. WOHOOO! :party: :party: :party: :dance: :dance: :dance:

That is an incredible result. Great method of last(?) resort.
Thanks for sharing this.

Pepperjam,
That's an amazing result. I hope those other two germinate for you.

Frenzix,
There are two ways of doing this. Scarification and Stratification. When you buy seed from a supplier, they will typically tell you if one of these methods needs to be done.

Stratification is a process of storing the seed in a cool, moist environment that simulates winter. For example, Japanese Maples typically require around 90 days of winter before their seed will germinate.

Scarification is damaging the seed coat so that moisture can get to the embryo a bit easier and faster as you've seen here. It can be done manually or by using chemicals to soften the seed coat

Well, knowing how scarification is/was used on humans, it seems really odd to apply this term to opening the seed casing so the plant can sprout. ie - Scarification is intended to create scars, areas in which the skin is either raised or lowered, as part of the healing process of the skin itself. "Scarification" of seeds, however, is never intended to create scar tissue of any kind, or for the "damage" to heal - just open it. I wonder why the term is applied to this action on seeds at all......

Still, glad to hear it worked for you!

Back