School??? Really???

Just doing some research, trying to get more information to start my biz...and ran across this gem on the FDA/CFSAN website:

Personnel Qualifications

All operating personnel concerned with the acidification of foods must be under the supervision of a person who has attended a school approved by the Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration. This school will have presented instructions of pH and the critical factors to be considered in the acidification of foods.

Are you %$#@-ing kidding me?!?!? I have to go to school to learn how to brew my hot sauce in a commercial kitchen?!?

Someone in the biz please tell me it ain't so...

DevilDuck said:
Just doing some research, trying to get more information to start my biz...and ran across this gem on the FDA/CFSAN website:

Personnel Qualifications

All operating personnel concerned with the acidification of foods must be under the supervision of a person who has attended a school approved by the Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration. This school will have presented instructions of pH and the critical factors to be considered in the acidification of foods.

Are you %$#@-ing kidding me?!?!? I have to go to school to learn how to brew my hot sauce in a commercial kitchen?!?

I think they are referring to a food safety course, which I know up here in Canada is mandatory if you are bottling product for retail sale.

I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. I think I need to get myself some Barnacle Remover and Nuclear Scurvy, I've been hearing good things from the FF show.

DevilDuck said:

Personnel Qualifications

Hey DD...it's no lie. In Texas you have to take a 3 day course at at a specific college and they usually only offer it once a year, but you have to have it if you are going to make your own salsa/sauces. Not cheap either. But once you have certificate its good for city requirements also. I have people who help me make my products but they can't cook when I am at the fire station, I have to be on premises before they can cook and jar.

Back