• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

movies Sci-Fi

bookwise, I believe the single most fun read ever is Larry Niven's Ringworld series! If you're a sci-fan and haven't read those books, add 'em to your list!
I like the B5 universe better than SG1 but both were pretty top-notch. (at least until B5-S5 and SG1-9&10)

A strong second on Niven's Known Space in general. Ringworld was my introduction, but it's a very well thought out and worked out universe. I really like his attention to actual science (as much as possible for galaxy-spanning civilizations). Too bad the Bussard engine has proven to be unworkable as theorized.

Have you read any of his collaborations? Lucifer's Hammer is a go-to favorite of mine. It can actually make you take a second look at the world around you. I know it had a strong impact on me when I first read it at 12...

Too bad the Bussard engine has proven to be unworkable as theorized.

Have you read any of his collaborations? Lucifer's Hammer is a go-to favorite of mine. It can actually make you take a second look at the world around you. I know it had a strong impact on me when I first read it at 12...
Ha! - in my mind there were several holes in the “science” if you wanted to be that guy, but we agree the universe was just awesome! I never read Lucifer’s hammer but will add it to the list for sure! - I can read all of this stuff at 40-something with the same enthusiasm I had 30 years ago!

Last edited:

I tried The Gripping Hand, but couldn't get through it. Not that I tried very hard. I'll give it another go someday.

Ha! - in my mind there were several holes in the “science” if you wanted to be that guy, but we agree the universe was just awesome! I never read Lucifer’s hammer but will add it to the list for sure! - I can read all of this stuff at 40-something with the same enthusiasm I had 30 years ago!
I think you have to bear in mind the state of theoretical physics at the time it was written and the fact that his field of study was math, not any of the sciences. There's a lot we know now that wasn't known then, at least not to someone in the field. (Especially the configurations of the colony planets). But his extrapolations from the current state were pretty good - and much more importantly, internally consistent.

It's not much different than watching "How The Universe Works" episodes from 10 years ago in light of some new discoveries :)

I recently watched "Under the Skin" and it's not for me. It's a bit esoteric and I had trouble understanding what was going on. After watching I read the synopsis which clarified a lot but still made the film seem underdeveloped for a casual watcher.

I also recently read "Flowers for Algernon" - what a superb book, incredibly well written. Since I grew up in the UK, "Brave New World" was the required high school reading as I understand Flowers was here.

I recently watched "Under the Skin" and it's not for me. It's a bit esoteric and I had trouble understanding what was going on. After watching I read the synopsis which clarified a lot but still made the film seem underdeveloped for a casual watcher.

I also recently read "Flowers for Algernon" - what a superb book, incredibly well written. Since I grew up in the UK, "Brave New World" was the required high school reading as I understand Flowers was here.

Tried The Sparrow yet, @Siv?

Tried The Sparrow yet, @Siv?
I did - both The Sparrow and Children of God. Disturbing, uncomfortable and memorable. I was gripped by the story and read voraciously but it has me left with mixed emotions. There are parts that are just raw and difficult to read. I get that great art elicits emotions and that those emotions are not always pleasant...

I did - both The Sparrow and Children of God. Disturbing, uncomfortable and memorable. I was gripped by the story and read voraciously but it has me left with mixed emotions. There are parts that are just raw and difficult to read. I get that great art elicits emotions and that those emotions are not always pleasant...

I really want to read it again someday, but I'm not ready to put myself through that again. Gooseflesh now thinking about it. *shudder*

I like the B5 universe better than SG1 but both were pretty top-notch. (at least until B5-S5 and SG1-9&10)
B5 was in my opinion, some of the best sci-fi written. “”Now that’s some really good corned beef”. Fans will get it. I started watching Stargate SG-1 and was surprised at the full frontal nudity scene, but not obscene, in the pilot. Guess cable tv went more adult, finally.

Last edited:
B5 was in my opinion, some of the best sci-fi written. “”Now that’s some really good corned beef”. Fans will get it. I started watching Stargate SG-1 and was surprised at the full frontal nudity scene, but not obscene, in the pilot. Guess cable tv went more adult, finally.
hmm I don't remember that, but then I've only seen in in reruns recently on networks with different standards

Back