• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Sciatica sucks!

Anyone else here sufferering from this horrible condition?
It's been pain 24/7 for at least three weeks here. Lost my job and medical insurance in October so I'm doing the best I can.

Proud Marine Dad said:
It's been pain 24/7 for at least three weeks here. Lost my job and medical insurance in October so I'm doing the best I can.

I have it somewhat.  I herniated a disc several years ago and it was really bad then.  Ended up having to have surgery to remove part of the disc that was pressing on the nerve.  L5S1.  Several years later, same thing, had to have another surgery to remove some more of the same disc.  It was so bad that my foot would go numb.
I still get it sometimes.  It still affects the same leg and foot but just not to the extent as before. 

I've been using Advil (Ibuprofen) but it doesn't do much. I've been relieving the pain with a six pack of IPAs the last few weeks and it's really the only thing that helps. So I am damaging my liver to relieve pain. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I wouldn't suggest it as a daily option but if it gets really bad , you can use tylenol/acetaminophen and ibuprofen/advil at the same time safely. They are metabolized in different ways in the body.

I would suggest you check with your physician or at least a pharmacist before you make it a habit though.

Be sure to stay away from mixing tylenol and alcohol at all or taking more than the recommended dosage.

Tylenol is extremely safe up until you take too much or mix it with alcohol and then it can destroy your liver in a blink.

Yup I've had it for years, The way I got rid of it is in the shower I would shake my hips like hula dance so the spine would go back and forth and so loosened up the area so I didn't get anymore pain. Pain is from pinched nerves. If I don't do that excersize regularly (dont have to do it every day) it would come back.

Yep, I have three herniated discs in my lumbar spine.  It definitely makes life very rough.  Makes me less thrilled about gardening as it got worse last September.   Some days are more tolerable than others, but there is rarely 'normal' anymore.  The littlest activities causes issues.  Once you mess your back up, it's bad news.

Chris

Herniated L4L5 back in 97. Thought it was just pulled muscle or pinched nerve so tried stretching it out. Went undiagnosed for 2 months. Had an MRI after several weeks of not being able to stand up straight & couldn't sleep more than a couple of hours at a time. Had also started to loose feeling in my left shin area and couldn't bend my left foot upward. Only relief was from hydrocodone or percocet ( I completely understand how people become addicted to opiods..) & only had that for a week. Switched to the tylenol/advil combination which worked to some degree. Had the laminectomy in the morning and walked upright out the hospital door in the early afternoon. No problems until I herniated my L5S1 in 2008 being stupid while tearing down an old wooden deck. Had surgery within 2 weeks after that one. Same process, surgery in the morning & walked out after lunch. No troubles since (fingers crossed). 
I've been fortunate as I know several people who have had back surgeries go wrong. 

Hope yours improves.  :cheers:

Proud Marine Dad said:
We sure are great to our veterans in this country....

Ruid said:
We sure are great to our veterans in this country....
In all fairness, I am not a veteran. My son is an active duty Gunnery sergeant in the USMC and my dad was a marine in WWII.
I use the USMC avatar to honor marines.
I do agree though that this country doesnt take care of veterans and it pisses me off. They would rather give money to other countries for stupid shit than to take care of those who gave their time to serve this country.

Back