Score and other business mentoring

I am wondering if anyone has ever used SCORE or other small business mentoring programs.  Till now, it has just been me and the kids with a bit of help from my wife.  My business is tiny, but it is growing.  Thinking will need a non family helper next year.  That means things like OSHA, payroll deductions, and all the trappings.  Not sure where to start so asked someone at the VA if they have folk who can help.  They suggested this group called SCORE.  It is retired business people who volunteer to mentor new business owners.  Not really new in my mind, but new to being all formal with employees, withholding taxes, and the likes.

Can I get away with 1099 if the person is seasonal.

I gave it a shot a few years back, and I am sure my experience was an isolated one, and that it can be very helpful in some capacities.

I had met with a SCORE counselor who was in the same field as I had been inquiring about. He had been retired about 15 years. In principle, his advice was solid albeit common sense stuff, but his experience in the industry and advice proved to be very outdated and at many points our discussion became more of how our field had progressed over the years rather than stuff I could truly learn from him about.

It was a nice hour, but I didn't take too much from it.

You may be better off with message boards like this or a friendly email to someone who is doing what you are doing currently.
I love talking shop, and this board has proved invaluable to the slow steady growth of my biz.

Also, in regards to tax type stuff, the old adage, 'you have to spend money to make money'. you may be much better off getting a consultation from an accountant. May cost ya $100 bux for an hour, but you will need/want a good person to keep you on the up and up with the big bad gov.

ajdrew said:

You can and you should - especially while you are small.  1099 contractors report & pay their own taxes so you don't have to worry about it.  1099s present some of their own unique challenges, but those are more easily navigated than W2s and payroll taxes.  Feel free to PM me for more info.  Are you using accounting software like Quickbooks yet?  

ajdrew said:
I am wondering if anyone has ever used SCORE or other small business mentoring programs.  Till now, it has just been me and the kids with a bit of help from my wife.  My business is tiny, but it is growing.  Thinking will need a non family helper next year.  That means things like OSHA, payroll deductions, and all the trappings.  Not sure where to start so asked someone at the VA if they have folk who can help.  They suggested this group called SCORE.  It is retired business people who volunteer to mentor new business owners.  Not really new in my mind, but new to being all formal with employees, withholding taxes, and the likes.

Basically yes if you make them a subcontractor. This makes them responsible for their own health insurance, taxes, etc.

Back